23 September 2010

Hello, I Am A Flag Dork

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

Handmade pillow by Bespoke Bunting

Confession: I have loved flags since 1st Grade when I would hide the classroom flag book under my desk and read it instead of paying attention in class. Another confession: My 1st Grade birthday party was at McDonalds, and it rocked!

Back on point, I love flags for their design, color, and their story. Maybe I'll convert you into a flag nerd too :)

As you know, the flag for the United Kingdom is called the Union Jack ('Jack' is an olde term for 'flag'.) 

Here are the individual flags within the United Kingdom. See if you can figure this one out...

Flag of Scotland
Flag of England

Flag of Northern Ireland

Overlay all three flags and you get this



So clever!

In 1606 the Union Jack was adopted by the United Kingdom. Today it also can be seen on the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Tuvalu.

Regrettably, Wales is not represented on the Union Jack flag although it is a part of the United Kingdom. My son would agree it is a cool flag all to its own. 

Flag of Wales

'LOOK SUPER SMART FOR THE DAY' CONTEST: Okay, I have no free giveaway, but you will get an imaginary gold star if you can tell me 

-> Which flag was designed by a local art teacher, whose entry won among 1000 designs in a contest? Hints: The flag is yellow and blue; the country is an island

For fun, tell me your best guess here in the comments section :)

Flag images: Wikipedia.org

XO
Laura

14 comments:

fairchildstreet said...

Is it Barbados? Charmaine

Julie Gallagher said...

I have no idea - but love the breakdown the Union Jack - who knew?

Limey said...

Then you'll love my flag pillow if you scroll to the bottom of the page!

JoAnn said...

Oo, oo, this is fun! I say it's PALAU!! :)

Robynne's Nest said...

No clue - can't even hazard a guess. However I do love flags and I have collected 4 or 5 since arriving in the U.K. Plan to either frame them or convert to pillows!

The Loeckens said...

No clue, but I purchased three Union Jack cushions within two weeks of moving here. A pink one, a purple one, and a brown one. My name is Kate. And I am a flag nerd.

sarahstevenson3 said...

I love your post but have no idea of the answer to your question. Your son is right about the flag for Wales. Kids are so intuitive.

JANE said...

Ooh, Laura, I am a vexillophile too! Hmm, maybe Curacao? Not sure. Looking forward to finding out. J x

Ann Marie said...

that pillow is great!

Melissa K said...

I love that cushion! I did know that the flag had the St George and St Andrew crosses for England and Scotland, but I didn't realise about Northern Ireland cross. It's quite clever, but the Welsh flag is pretty cool! :))

tales from an oc cottage said...

I just love the Union Jack! And your lesson was so very cool...who knew?

m ^..^

Marcie said...

Love that tea cup & saucer!! I am loving your blog.

xo M

Howard said...

> Today it also can be seen on the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Tuvalu.

And also on the flag of one of the United States: Hawaii! See http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/hi_flag.htm .

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the clear-headed thought. My brother and I were preparing to do some analysis about that. We got a good book on that matter from our local library and most books were not as cognitive as your site. I am very glad to discover such information that I have been searching for a long time. :)