21 September 2010

Lists & Doodles

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

If we ever speak on the phone, chances are I am mindlessly doodling (or doing laundry). I think I am a second generation doodler. I am a bit shy to share this, for I have no formal training but have developed a strong kindergartner technique. 

This was my doodle today during a workshop - I later colored it with my daughter's Magic Markers to share with you :)

Hillside Landscape Doodle

I don't know why, but swirls have shown up in my doodles for only a year now (drawn in my sun). Since I was a kid, I mostly doodle flowers, mountains, and random shapes. I just noticed that for the first time my typical mountain peaks now look more like rounded English hills. Interesting...

And without giving it any thought, I doodled the red Fly Agaric mushroom that I had thought existed only in fairy tales - but they have them here! I am in a mad search for a glimpse of this magical mushroom and cutie-pie hedgehogs. Let me know if you have any tips on where I could spot them...

Inspired by Kate's expat list at Across the Pond with the Loeckens,  here is my own list I thought you might enjoy

'You Know You Are Living In England When...'

  1. You pay $150 to fill the gas tank (and you are okay with it)
  2. The 'meter reader' guy pops by unannounced to read the meter in your house
  3. The grocery cart performs 'doughnuts' in the aisle, whether or not you want it to
  4. You miss boxed Mac & Cheese, effective laundry stain-remover, and Reece's Peanut Butter Cups
  5. You have to try to speak with an English accent to be understood 
  6. What had been a mundane task in your home country is now a huge adventure
  7. You surrender to the impossibility of memorizing the multitude of phone numbers with their infinite digits 
  8. Pigeons & parakeets frequent the backyard
  9. Book club meetings are with the author, at a pub, and/or in the actual historical location
  10. Your daily commute is through the woods past swans, weeping willows, and a charming church built in the 1800s
Today is sunny, so I must go now and enjoy the 'sun shower' :)
Have a lovely day!


[You're Invited! If you enjoyed this post, please consider following: www.HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com ] 

XO
Laura

20 comments:

Laura said...

As always... lovely words, that make me smile... and think of home! Lx
PS. We used to pop cat food out for hedgehogs... although it may also attract some other 'not so cute' animals... you'll hear the hedgehogs before you see them, as they like to snuffle along the ground!

Anonymous said...

Soooo, now you finally understand why my vocabulary was accented on certain words. Nothing like spelling your last name with a British "hache" instead of a simple "h" sound.

--Lil' sis--

Mel said...

This is hilarious! I was recently in the US (from Australia) and found in the end it was just easier to speak in my really bad rendition of an American accent so that people understood me!

p.s I am one of you BYW classmates ;)

Amber said...

Oh I loved your "you know when you are in England"! I am am ex-pat British in Mallorca and you made me smile and miss the UK. If you think the UK is bad, you should try the med. It is many, many times worse, but the sun does shine. Amber x

Daydream Living said...

Hi Laura!
Thanks for visiting me, I became your follower too! Love to read about England, I know America so it's interesting to see how you experience it. Enjoy the evening!
Maureen

sarahstevenson3 said...

this was wonderful...I popped over to visit from BYW. Thanks for sharing.

Brandi said...

Aww, I have to giggle a little. Living in a different country is bound to be an adventure. I wish I could send you some mac & cheese!

P.S. Just popping in from BYW to say hi!

Pinecone Camp said...

#9 would make me seriously happy! Love your list and your doodles. Found you through BYW, just so you know.
I lived in Australia, with my husband (an Aussie), and I could have made a similar list to yours ;)

Kathryn said...

Love this post! It cracked me up! It sounds like you have a lovely commute though!

fairchildstreet said...

Popping in from BYW. Love the pot it made me smile. I live in Australia but have chosen to follow you to read about life in England.

Julie Gallagher said...

Also popping in from BYW - loved this post and so can relate to being in a foreign country!

Jenny @ Hank + Hunt said...

I am dying to go on a visit to the UK and this made it so much worse. Especially your morning commute. ::SIGH::
Lovely!

Sally said...

I like the idea of a doodled list - I'm going to try it. More fascinating was your list of things that you find so different in UK. It's amazing to see my home country through an expat's eyes i.e. as a foreign country. Love the campervan illustration btw.

elisa rathje said...

i am so very much living in england!! i once asked for basil (bayzil) and tomato (tomayto) soup - you should have seen the look i got!

kt said...

your list made me crack up! i guess italy must have the same person designing their shopping carts it takes muscle and luck to get these carts to stay straight:)
Had so much fun this afternoon checking in on you blog.
kt
p.s. thank you for the kind comment about my painting
p.p.s. i am kind-of a flag nerd too and i found that so interesting about England's flag who would have known!

JANE said...

Oh, Laura, I really like this cute list. I did a similar one on living in Sydney on my blog - we should compare notes! J x

Angela Q. said...

Also popping in from BYW class. This was a great post and made me laugh. I was just blogging about Macaroni and cheese yesterday, what a small world!!
Cheers,
Angela

This Home Sweet Home said...

how about this one, you know you living in England when you get all four seasons in one day! Its a pain knowing what to wear every day!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have so enjoyed each visit to London . . . so very fun to read your list. Blessings from a fellow BYW student.

Fondly,
Glenda

Christine E-E said...

I've been meaning to drop by & let you know I enjoy your blog! My husband & I spent 3 weeks in London this past summer (rented a flat between So Kensington & Sloane Square tubes stations). We've traveled quite a bit, but staying in one place & experiencing a neighborhood was such a treat! perhaps you'll stop by my blog & take a peek at our "dailies" (blog of our daily adventures)... they start in July 2010 - "Leaving on a Jet Plane"...