29 October 2010

Celebration of a New Home

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

When we moved to England, we sold our house in the US and brought everything with us. We have had a mourning period for the home we left behind. {Sigh} We loved that house - my canvas for home decor, our sacred space full of so many memories, the house we brought newborn Little G home to

Now we are renting a lovely Victorian home built around 1898 that oozes character. Except for an unhung  mirror (major procrastination), I think I can officially say we have settled in :)

Love the original door & window design

Bristles in mail slot keep the house warmer (so clever)

Renting this house actually has freed me of my design obsession. No more sewing curtains, pouring over paint colors, or ripping out inspirational magazine pages (well, not as many anyway). This home is imperfectly perfect for us, and there's not much we can do with it anyway. Who knew renting would calm my mind? At least for now?

Kitchen Window

Kitchen + Blogging HQ

I am posting photos of our home to help friends, family, and readers picture us here. Photojournaling is also a way for me to document and see the loveliness in the 'now'

Love all the molding


I love vignettes and little 'creatures' around the house. The movers thought I was crazy to have brought so many animals across the ocean. What do they know?!

Playroom

Felt Birds in Playroom Window

I mostly decorate with items from Goodwill, Target, Pottery Barn Teen, and local artists. I like the challenge of having an eclectic style on a small budget.

Everything is so expensive here, I have bought almost nothing beside necessities. I hope to find some flea markets soon :)

Reading Nook (and dog hang-out)

One fun thing about putting this house together was taking everything out of boxes and setting it in a room. To decorate the house, I went 'shopping' in that room filled with things I love.

I wonder what new memories this new house will hold for us. I hope you have enjoyed a tour of our new home :) 

XO Laura

17 comments:

Emily said...

ohhhh, I love your home! It truly is my dream home! How blessed you are to enjoy this experience. The windows and fireplace are my favorites. And I love how you have brightened each room with your brilliant fabrics and textiles! Thank you so much for sharing with us; it truly was a delight!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

My goodness this house is absolutely georgous...is there any way you could buy for your own? It has so many amazing and interesting details. I would love to live there.

Bonnie said...

Laura, Your home is lovely. The architectural features are awesome but your colors and personal touch show through. It seems like a happy home so full of light and life.

Privet and Holly said...

Love it, Laura!
When my husband
went back to school
for his MBA 13 years
ago, we sold our
four-bedroom house
and rented a town home
for two years. It
was liberating for
that time...I had
a two-year old and
it allowed me more
time to focus on her.
I love your colors
and the great light
in your wonderful home.
Thanks for sharing ~
great to picture where
you write!
xx Suzanne

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour,
Loved your photo tour of your new home. As an Maerican expat in Paris, I understand all your feelings, and also the bit about everything being so expensive - ouch!
Enjoy all those lovely things you brought with you!
Bon weekend,
Mimi

Bethan said...

Hi Laura,
I've just come across your blog via Life on Planet Baby. It's so nice to see those gorgeous photos of your home and to read about your adventures. I moved from the UK to Australia a few years ago so can relate to a lot of the stories that you post about being in an unfamiliar setting. Enjoy the Autumn weekend. X

Make mine Mid-Century said...

Oh, you have a beautiful home. Enjoy the lack of ownership-responsibility for a while.

Really, a gorgeous home! You'll find the markets and then you'll wish you hadn't because there'll be some much you want to bring home!

Happy Homemaker UK | Laura said...

Thank you for your sweet comments :)

We have thought about buying a home, but we really have no idea how long we'll be here. I have to admit I read the 'for sale' brochures that float my way...

JANE said...

Oh, Laura, thanks so much for sharing. The house looks delightful and I am impressed at your decorating. Oh, and Picnik made your photos look even better ☺. I mentioned you in my last post and hope to find the time to respond to your tag tomorrow. It's lovely to see that Bethan has found you as well. J x

mujerboricua said...

I envy your decorating talent! I *wish* I had some. You place looks great!

Leslie said...

Beautiful pictures of a lovely home! I'm hoping you can inspire me a bit... Thanks for sharing.

Robynne's Nest said...

Hi Laura, love your photos. It certainly looks like you've made a beautiful home for your family. I too bought nearly everything I own with me from aus. My husband couldn't understand why I bought 4 dinner sets with me instead of leaving it in our house back home, he just doesn't understand that to make a nice nest we need our stuff!! We just got back from a week in Italy will start posting some shots today, you'll want to go and visit!
Robx

Corrie said...

your windows are to die for! what a pretty house to live in!

corrie:)

fatfatsheep said...

What a beautiful place, love all the little corners and windows!

Jessica {lovely jubbly london} said...

I love love love your house!

I've found some good home bargains at TK Maxx and Home Sense (like Home Goods). Are you in Surrey by chance? There is a supposed to be a really good market there but I haven't been myself- I can look up the name if you want.

Meg and Mum's said...

I'm completely in love with your home!! Beautiful! :)
Megs x

Wife and Mother. said...

I know I'm a little late to comment on this post (OK, a year late), but I just stumbled upon your fun blog and can't pull myself away.

What a wonderful house you found! Thanks for posting photos. Do you mind telling where this house is and what you think of the area now that you've been there a while? If I ever move my family to England I want to live in a house like yours. It looks like perfection (and kudos on the fabulous decorating)!