20 December 2010

'The Holiday' With A Twist


'Tis the perfect time to confess that one of the reasons I moved to England was that I was hoping to live in or next to this...

Iris's Cottage from 'The Holiday'
[from Chalk & Talk Blog]

Do you remember this cozy cottage from the film, 'The Holiday' (2006)? I have visited Shere in Surrey several times [here], where portions of the movie were filmed, but I've never seen this house. (Otherwise I'd be writing from there now)

It's not too late to rent this delightful romantic comedy starring Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet to put you in the holiday mood. In a nutshell, their characters swap homes for Christmas - Winslet flies to Diaz's modern Southern California home while Diaz tromps off to Winslet's English country cottage. A classic chick flick.

A few yummy scenes / eye candy from 'The Holiday' (via Cote de Texas):


This last photo makes me laugh because I really did sleep in my big parka and scarf just last week! These old homes are so cold and drafty. If I could knit myself a nose hat, I would. 

Now for some photos from the movie set in Shere. I believe a lot of these photos are from the DVD's Special Features. All photos below are from Hooked On Houses.

Blowing Fake Snow For Wintry Scenes

This is the High Street in Shere. If you go for a visit, you'll see the yellow door on the right for The Lucky Duck Tea Room. The pub in the movie, The White Horse, will be up ahead on your right, past the stream with ducks. No need to bring in the Hollywood snow right now - there's plenty of it!

Ready for a little twist? Here are more photos of my old, charming 17th Century cottage, in the making...






Unbelievable, I know - a bit of a heartbreak. Thrown up in just a few weeks in a field (and since torn down). Now I  know why I couldn't find that cottage! But here's the good news. 

There is a cottage in the Cotswolds for rent that may have been the inspiration for this movie.

Slatter's Cottage, Cotswolds

The Lounge and Bedroom 2 are similar to the movie
Slatters Cottage

And the other good news is I know I can hire a movie crew to build me a charming 17th Century English cottage one day :)

Iris's Cottage, 'The Holiday'

Anywhere.

(P.S. For more television & movie homes, visit the interesting Hooked On Houses)

XO Laura

Related Posts: 'Crazy Quaint' Shere

24 comments:

ladyliberty said...

How interesting!! I absolutely love that movie and you have now reminded me that its time for my husbands least favourite part of Christmas - watching The Holiday and Love Actually! Maybe tonight is the night :)

AnastasiaC said...

wow very interesting - im actually laughing now that i really thought it would be a real british cottage!!
i loved that sweet little cottage so much!! so much nicer than the comfortable and flash LA home featured in the film...great film too!
next time i visit UK im definetely going to explore the Cotswolds!

Piccadilly Market said...

Oh No!!! I loved that cottage, why wouldn't they find a real one? Great post. You made me laugh out loud about the nose hat. I spent a very very bitterly cold winter in Poland and I could have done with one also...
Merry Christmas

Beth said...

I'm so glad this post of yours went onto 'reveal' the history of the cottage....I didn 't want to be the one to break your heart!! I also love browsing through hooked on Houses. x

Sarah said...

Thank you for this post Laura! I used to live in Surrey as well and loved it. Nothing in Hollywood is as it seems right? I took the BYW class last spring - such a great way to make connections! Have a great week! :))

monica lee said...

I love that movie because of that house (ok maybe Jude LAw too), the linens, her cozy hat! oh no! all lies! ha!

JANE said...

Oh, Laura, you always have such an interesting take on things! Most amusing. I can't believe the terrible weather you're having while I'm in sunshiney Hobart. J x

topchelseagirl said...

I thought it was too good to be true. I still adore the blue kitchen though! There are cottages around as pretty as that, but many of them are dark and poky inside.

Laura said...

I love this movie... no I'd say I'm addicted to it... mainly just to look at Iris's house... The hubby groans when he sees that I've popped it in the DVD and declares 'need you England fix, eh?' I hail from the edge of the Peak District, which has little stone cottages like this peppered all over the place. I know what you mean about the cold... my first flat, was in a old Victorian and it was freezing... Invest in a hot water bottle... They're the best for warming you up! Lx

Robynne's Nest said...

I'm devastated!...but the rental cottage would do. Isn't all this snow great..except if my daughter can't get here from Australia on Friday! I had to be towed through a village on Saturday...what an experience for an Aussie girl unused to such conditions. I think my husband to finally see me home...and of course his car intact without a scratch!...Men! Robx

Robynne's Nest said...

What I mean't was my hubby was relieved to finally see me home!Robx

Chuzai Living said...

How fun! I love behind the scene and I really enjoyed seeing the photos! How sad that the house was torn down after the filming. They might have been able to sell it to someone! :) I saw that movie and thought that it was so much fun. I loved it. That house was definitely one of the charms to the movie. Thanks for sharing!!

Noodles and Waffles said...

Wow. Talk about sneaky. I would have never guessed. I love that movie. I can't wait to snuggle up and watch it.

Blenda Tyvoll said...

What an intriguing twist to the movie! Haven't seen it yet but now it's been added to my Holiday must do list, (when my husband has other plans:)

Privet and Holly said...

THIS is why we are
kindred spirits....
LOVE this movie and
this house. Hoping
to visit Surrey and
stroll and sip tea
with you in one of
those cute shops.
Merry Christmas,
Laura!
xx Suzanne

Privet and Holly said...

PS: Even if it was
torn down, to me, it
will always be real : )

xx

Danielle said...

Oh man, I'm gutted. LOL when I watched that film with my husband, I went on and on "look how gorgeous old houses are in my country..."

Natasha said...

Such a gorgeous place! I would love to spend a Christmas there too...so long as the heating works of course!

I hope that you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and that you enjoy the happiness and joy that this blessed season brings. Happy 2011!

Blessings and best Christmas wishes,
Natasha.

Amanda said...

I love 'The Holiday' and it's one of my favourite movies to watch at this time of year, I especially love Iris's gorgeous, quaint cottage. I'd love to spend a Christmas somewhere like that.

Priscilla said...

Ohhh I am so surprised to learn the house is not real!!! I love that movie and that house, I always wanted to live in a house like that. Thanks for sharing xx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

How bizarre to see the house put together like that. Who'd have thought?

I wonder why they didn't just use a real one?

I love the American house in the film too. It looks so glamorous and huge!

Sarahx

ALL ABOUT CHOCOLATE CREATIVE... said...

I liked this movie, and wold love to spend some weekend in an old english cottage somewhere in the english countryside, I need to et out of London more often!!

KimberlyJ said...

While I was reading I was thinking how I was going to Google where that cottage was and have Vernon take me there on my next visit and then 'POP' no cottage. Oh well. I did get to visit the first church in 4 Weddings and a Funeral, mine and Vernon's favorite movie. It is so cute and I was excited because I stood in places where Hugh Grant stood. He didn't tell me where we were going because he wanted to surprise me. What a wonderful surprise!

Zinnia said...

Hello, I love the picture of Slatter's Cottage in The Cotswolds. This is the area I come from in England! I love to go back when I can, especially in the springtime to see all the beautiful English gardens and to see the bluebells in the woods.
Seeing the different stages of building that country cottage for the film 'The Holiday' was quite amazing.

Ah! the English countryside, there is nothing quite like it! Who says it rains all the time?!!! I will admit that the weather can be changeable, but that is part of the charm! It is after all, an island with the sea not too far away wherever you go!

Sandra