24 January 2011

Harry, A Different Kind of Potter

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK




The hostess for the day plans a super secret getaway for the rest of us each month. We plug in the postcode into our Sat Nav and just see where it takes us. So far no one has given me the postcode to drive off a cliff. Ah, such good friends (so far)...

So you can imagine my delight (and relief) when we drove up to quaint Grayshott Pottery in Hindhead, Surrey


This is what it would have looked like on a clear summer day
[source: Grayshott Pottery]

Founded in 1956, this location produces commercial and handmade stoneware for well-known establishments such as Harrods, a Jamie Oliver restaurant, and Cafe Rouge to name a few. And anytime I can use the word 'bespoke' (custom) I will, so here we go - they make 'bespoke' items too. With in-house designers and artists, anything is possible in this tucked away location where the magic happens... 

I'll let the photos do the talking, because I really have no idea what I am talking about

The Handmade Section



The Commercial Side

Molds

Making A Bowl

'Pressing' Casserole Pans in Blue Machine

'Sponging' A Plate Before Being Glazed

Glazing By Hand

Loaded Firing Rack Is Pushed On A Track

Apologizes for my signage fetish






They were making rustic-looking stoneware while we were there. Loved it all. And the 'pottery elves' (my words, not theirs) work many machines, so they don't get bored. It was surprisingly dust free.

As friend Miss K pointed out, most places of interest in England have a gift shop and restaurant attached (with tea, of course) to make the day really happy.  Grayshott Pottery was no exception :)

And what did I buy in the pottery gift shop? A really cool iron nutcracker that looked like an antique vise, of course :) 




How long had that treasure been waiting to be noticed?



More information: Grayshott Pottery

13 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, squeal! I *love* going on a jaunt with you, Laura. Your sense of humour really appeals to me, you funny girl. J x

ladyliberty said...

Ohh what a good find (and quite close to me!). I will remember if I ever visit to wear my hair in a pony tail - that warning about keeping hair clear of the belt makes me a bit nervous!

JoAnn said...

Such an interesting and fun day it was Laura! And guess what....while eating dinner at The Old Bear (Wildwood) on Saturday night....I ate from Grayshott stoneware and my water came in a mini Grayshott stoneware pitcher! :) Love it!

Make mine Mid-Century said...

Loved your visit. You give your whole experience such humour and warmth!

That nutcracker should feel at home at your place ... why now do I want to create great mounds of pottery things?

Beth said...

Loved reading this Laura. It took me back a few years to the time that I lived in Staffordshire aka The Potteries. Fascinating business isn't it? x

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I love your post-title, Laura. Funny girlie. My grandparents used to live in Hindhead so I know it quite well - at least I used to!!

What a great day out. And I LOVE what you bough. Too cool for school. :-)

Sxx

Raine and Sage said...

Ha! What a great day out. Isn't it fantastic to see old traditions being maintained in the present day with such beautiful handcrafts. I can't believe you ended up with a nutcracker. Not even a little bowl?
I always think of Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore with pottery making now... not to mention the song unchained melody.

American in Bath said...

I seem to recall spending much of youth with my hair tangled in one machine or another. If only bus doors can with such a warning.

Robynne's Nest said...

Laura, that's the beauty of including lots of photos on our blogs, sometimes they can do the talking instead of us! And yes I've also noticed that there is always a cafe or restaurant at every tourist attraction...the brits really like to eat...as my waistline will show! Robx

Privet and Holly said...

Oh, Laura, how
I'd love to take
a field trip like
this with YOU : )
Imagine getting up
and doing that for
a living every day...
"I'm a potter!" I
think it would be
a good life. Love
the nutcracker!
xx Suzanne

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a fun pottery tour and even more fun . . . the title of your post. Clever.

Fondly,
Glenda

Brit Gal Sarah said...

Love the whole idea, a mystery day out, so cool. I used to do pottery and so I would have just loved this.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

What a treat to get to see that! I hope you kept your hair clear of the belt. :)