27 February 2011

Listy Loo

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

As I sit alone in my kitchen, writing, I wonder is anyone reading my blog out there? And enjoying it? It is immensely satisfying and encouraging when the answer comes back as a yes :)

Three lovely bloggers sent me awards over the last few weeks. I am immensely honored and choked up to have been selected. In return, I am to blog 7 things about myself (listed here).  For a twist, I will list 7 things about my new country to add to my previous list here. And yes, I keep a notepad in my car and purse :)


A typical chocolate box cottage
Source: Pinterest


1. 'Chocolate Box Cottage' is a general term used for a quaint character home

2. A 'snug' is a cozy little room usually with a fireplace and a place to sit to read or chat. You can find a 'snug' in old houses and pubs. Love that word!

3. 'Pudding' is a general term for dessert. 'Tea' is a drink but also means early dinner. This is important to know when an English family comes over 'for tea', they are hungry and looking forward to a meal - not finger sandwiches and fancy teacups (like I provided. Oops)

4. At the post office the clerk kept calling me 'love' at the end of every few sentences. When I retold my husband, he asked 'Did you want to hit him with your handbag?'  I replied, 'Are you kidding? I kept getting back in line again and again!'

5. I whispered to my husband, 'Did she actually just ask if I would fancy something else to eat?' My husband whispered back with a smile, 'Yes, she did'

6. The English have super-power hearing. They talk a lot quieter than Americans, and when they whisper I could swear they move their lips in complete silence


Source: Pinterest


7. The English Easter Bunny drops chocolate eggs in the garden. No baskets, plastic eggs, or fake grass - that is the American Easter Bunny's tradition

The 'Stylish Award' came from eye-candy Flowerona and lovely expat Brit Abroad in USA. The 'Blog With Substance' Award was from fashion/home decor blog Lulliloo. Obviously all with good taste in good reads :)

Keeping in the spirit, I'd like to award Serenity Now for the 'Blog With Substance Award'. She has created 'Weekend Bloggy Reading' on Fridays as a place for bloggers to link their best post of the week. I think that is a great idea.



More free iPhone wallpapers at Margot Madison Creative


And I'd like to award the 'Stylish Award' to Margot Madison Creative for DIY Fridays, specifically for her free iPhone wallpapers (here) and how to create printed fabric with Spoonflower (here).

I hope you check out and enjoy what these 5 blogs have to offer :)  

Friday Fun Reveal - Thank you for the many responses, guesses and funny comments from What Am I?. This unusual Romanesco cauliflower comes not from the ornate temples of Thailand, but originally from Italy. My friend Miss K steamed and buttered this delicious beauty. Cool, eh?


Romanesco
Source: Google Images


Thank you for stopping by for a read today - I appreciate you! 

35 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Laura! I'm sitting here, on my couch in Washington state...reading your blog post and enjoying it very much! I love the chocolate box cottages and would fancy a snug! ;) I've never been to England but it's at the very top of my list of places to visit for sure! Thank you for transporting me momentarily! I'll be back to visit again soon! Have a wonderful evening!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Raine and Sage said...

Laura I love reading your take on life abroad. It's funny and interesting, and thought provoking too. Isn't it funny the differences all these Anglo folk have?! We also stick to only chocolate eggs, nothing fake, and they're dropped in the garden. Although with our climate and ants it's a risky business that needs careful precision and timing to eliminate possible egg carnage.
Fancy is a word I don't use, unless something is a fancy dinner/restaurant, but do like the way it comes out of a suave Englishman's mouth. i.e. "Do you fancy a drink?", um yes please!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love your blog and really enjoyed those English tidbits. I'm going to start calling my cottage a "Chocolate Box Cottage" That cottage is super pretty by the way.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hey Laura,

I LOVE reading your blog. I really enjoy your take on living in England. Your words stay with me, not only when I read them, but afterwards too. You open my eyes to the funny English things I do!!

Sarahx

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Hi Laura congratulations on your awards. Love your take on the English language! I have a 'snug' in my 170 year old house. My special place to sit and read, and yes it does have a fireplace too!
Jenny x

Sarah said...

Hi Laura,

I love your little cultural tidbits! There is actually a town called Snug here in Tasmania, I wonder if there is one in England too (most of our place names come from the 'mother country'!)

We always said 'tea' for the evening meal when I was growing up, but it seems to have been replaced by 'dinner'.

Have a great week - you've got me looking forward to Easter now!

Sarah

The Loeckens said...

Clearly, I am not the "friend Miss K" mentioned in this particular post...because I wouldn't have steamed and buttered a FRUIT. ;)

Jane said...

Ah, such fun, Laura - I always love your 'take' on British life. Chuckling in Hobart - just north of Snug as Sarah so rightly points out! J x

American in Bath said...

I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't fruit! I'm off to learn about more bloggers. Thanks for the links.

Danielle said...

LOL at the English talking so much quieter, very true. My American husband whispers so loud I always think everyone must hear him.

And lovely cottage photo - I actually posted that on my facebook page y/day!

Danielle said...

oh and lol at fancy... I use that all the time still, I forget and wonder why people look at me funny.
Along with... Can I pinch your pen? and I'm just going to pop to the loo...

Why have 1 word for something when you can have 15?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I loved reading more about life in England and the differences in culture. :) Thank you so much for thinking of me! :)

Laura said...

Love your blog Laura and always have! I've just read your list to the hubby... with me asking 'don't you say 'fancy something' in America?' to which he replied 'No'... I never know you see because he never tells me when I use English phrases... I just walk around in my 'English' bubble here in America totally unaware that no one has a clue what I'm talking about! Lx

Teacup Moments said...

What's not to love? England, your lovely writing, this list! Everything's so enjoyable. Keep 'em coming! Cheers!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Congratulations on you awards. Love all of these British expressions, such fun. Thank you for sharing them.(-:

Madelief said...

Yes, I am reading your blog! Thanks for your comment on mine. Congratulations on your awards!

Lieve groet & happy sunday!

Madelief

Jackie said...

That was interesting, what we say automatically, I don't really think about it. I would say that afternoon tea is a light meal typically eaten between 3pm and 5pm with finger sandwiches, little cakes and scones with jam and clotted cream and cups of tea.
High tea is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm.
High tea would usually consist of cold meats, eggs or fish, cakes and sandwiches.

Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog.

Hope you have had a good weekend and have a good week. Jackie in Surrey, UK.

mummyneeds said...

Love your list and your blog. Will chewck out thee blogs, thanks for sharing

Hines-Sight said...

I love your blog, too and I love your photographs. Love the chocolate box house!!

Enjoyed today a lot.

Daydream Living said...

Hi L,
gotta run to my bed now, will come back in the morning but just wanted to say, YES, reading your blog and always with a smile!
Mx

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

I just discovered your lovely blog, Laura. So happy I did! These pictures are gorgeous, I would LOVE to live in that chocolate box house!!
Off to read some of your past posts..
Have a sweetest of Sundays xx

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Hi Laura, it's me again, just became your newest follower. Looking so sooooo forward to your future posts.
I saw you live in England, so I'll end up wishing you the sweetest dreams xx

Sailor said...

I love the English Cottages! Beautiful.

Madama said...

Beautiful!

Privet and Holly said...

Oh Laura, I
just love you!
And it looks
like many others
do, as well ~
congrats on your
awards! The pics
are so pretty and
I really enjoy
learning the inside
scoop on being a
Brit : ) Hope your
weekend was as lovely
as you, my friend!
xx Suzanne
PS: I thought I'd
had that weird veg in
Italy ~ just couldn't
remember exactly HOW : )
So cool!

Abby said...

Big fan here, Laura :)

Great list, it's interesting to see the UK from a different perspective. Congrats on your awards!

Lou said...

From one Lusty Lou to another...... how could I not comment when my name's in the title!

Your blog looks great, no wonder you're winning awards.

Thanks for the follow of The Archers at The Larches... xx

lisaroyhandbags said...

Of course we read your blog! I'm doing it from Dubai! Xo

Meera @ firstsense said...

I love reading your blog, Laura. As someone who has also been learning the English ways, I love to read about your take on things.

I've been in England for 8 years now and would you believe, I only learned the other meaning of 'tea' (ie dinner) late last year, after some embarrassing misunderstandings!

You are totally deserving of the awards, congratulations!

Meera xx

Meera @ firstsense said...

P.S. Thanks for the education on the Romanesco cauliflower... I had no idea!

Also, thanks for letting us know about the Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now... I shall be spending some time there at the weekends :)

Meera xx

Kris said...

Hi Laura, Just want to say I really enjoy your blog. It's fun to read your posts and it's nice to have another American in England that I can relate to. x

Tai Tai said...

A big YES from me! Love reading your blog so much. And love the English slang you just wrote about. after my time there I'm now addicted to using "fancy" and love saying "pudding". So much better than desert. And congrats on your awards!!! xx

Susan Kane said...

I love your analysis of the English lingo! My daughter Mary a lovely young British man, Richard, after she met him at Cambridge. They are now in Switzerland. Anyway, we stayed in a chocolate box house in Ludlow, called the 'Rose Cottage', and it was amazing.
I'll be following you more & more. Susan

Melissa K @ Lulliloo said...

Wow! I can't believe you got all those awards at once - well done to you! I love your list of things - I never really imagined how different the one language could be here until I arrived in the UK and I love getting your US to UK perspective. - Melissa xx

Anonymous said...

I was looking for the meaning of 'snug' and it took an American in England to answer.

russell from Melbourne Australia