08 February 2011

With Spring In My Step

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


Naturalized Snowdrops in Waterperry Gardens


Motivated by Modern Country Style's Garden Party, coupled with reading the latest issue of The English Garden, I grabbed my family, camera, and SatNav (of course) to go to Snowdrop Weekend at Waterperry Gardens in Oxfordshire.

In our family, this sweet little bulb signifies the coming of my son's birthday. It has always been called his 'Birthday Bulb' since it typically blooms on his birthday (the tulip is my 'Birthday Bulb'). It is also a nod that Spring is on its way.


There are approximately 500 varieties of snowdrops, each with individual green markings on its white flower (like a snowflake). If feeling fancy, you can refer to the snowdrop by its botanical name, Galanthus. But I think 'cutie-pie bulb' sounds more accurate. 


Snowdrop: Fairy cap on a stem?


One thing I appreciated about Waterperry Gardens was its mix of formal and informal plantings and design. Below you can see a view through a formal yew hedge to a less formal garden.

It is common to see 'live' fences of yew, hornbeam, and beech in England. Such a lovely, soft alternative to a wooden fence, don't you think? One day I'll photograph the machine that trims them along the road - very interesting




All winter the grass has been very green. Very green. My husband says, 'We must be on the other side' :)  Get it?

Below is a classic example of winter color with lots of texture. As I gardener I know this is very hard to achieve. 
I've never seen a better example




Viburnum Bodnantense  - I peeked at the label.  This fragrant bush had a few of us Americans scratching our heads the last couple of days as we've seen it around town. I was excited to solve the mystery 



Flowering Viburnum Bodnantense


Couldn't resist this photo. Like Horton Hears A Who,  it said 'Helloooo! I've never been photographed before'. 
I think the lichen is beautiful 


Wisteria Vine


I apologize if you are eating while reading, but I just couldn't pass this one up. I'd never seen this before...




Plant Marker -  I love that someone took the time to use nice handwriting




We had such a great day at the Waterperry Gardens. The kids played hide & seek while I took photographs. My daughter even plopped on the grass to make a 'Sun Angel' for the brief second the sun was out


Snowdrops & Aconites 


I can't wait to see what Spring brings! Now that the days are getting longer, I can just feel it : )  In fact, 'Hello, my name is Giddy'




Linkups: WhipperBerry,  Modern Country Style, Savvy Southern StyleFaded CharmA Beach Cottage, A Southern Daydreamer, An Oregon Cottage, Fishtail Cottage

36 comments:

Daydream Living said...

Goodmorning Laura!
This is a fine way to start my day, love your photo of the snowdrop plant (in holland we call it little snowclock, lit. translated).
I will read more of your posts I have missed, one child is on her way to school, the next is coming any minute now so I better get ready.
big hugs, from me to you
Maureen
Oh, and it took me about four whole seconds before I got the green grass joke, good one! xx

Tai Tai said...

Such a beautiful garden and such a lovely time of year to be in the UK! Have you been to Petersham Nurseries in Richmond? I always planned to get there but never did. It has a cafe and classy restaurant in there too. Could be a nice day out?! x

Make mine Mid-Century said...

Meal worms? I almost gagged.

But your snowdrops, lichen, blossoms and husband's wit made me recover slightly.

God, meal worms. Ugh!

American in Bath said...

Ah ha! I've not heard of sun angels. Looking forward to reading more about them. And I've added the park to my list of hoped for destinations.

Emma said...

Snowdrops are one of my most loved flowers. So delicate and dainty!

Laura said...

Boo hoo... I'm homesick... I usually fly out in Feb for a month, but this year I'm not going till fall... Thanks for the beautiful pictures to tide me over! Lx

Frau S said...

What a beautiful spot! That picture of winter color is amazing.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Lucky you for getting the chance to see so many English Gardens...in my opinion the best gardens in the world. This one is quite lovely. I love Viburnams.

Amanda said...

Thank you for flea market shopping with me and then for taking me along to this lovely English garden! Isn't blogging fun? I can hardly wait to follow you to more quaint little spots in the English countryside! My dream vacation for sure! And yes, we do have a Cavalier and couldn't agree with you more that they are the best breed! So happy to have met you!
Best Wishes,
Amanda

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Ooooh, I have so many things to say!! Am worried they'll come out in an excited burble so I'll number them:

1) I went to Waterperry for their Art In Action last July. They have it every year and it's GREAT!

2) Thank you SO much for doing a post to link up to Modern Country Style for Wednesday's party. I have visions of being all on my own tomorrow!! *tumbleweed blows past*

3) I've not seen those mealywrom things either. GROSS. Were they alive? Bleeeurgh!

4)That's my list done!

Sarahx

Hines-Sight said...

You have beautiful photography skills.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

"The Birthday Bulb" ~ what a sweet idea.

fondly,
Glenda

Fishtail Cottage said...

Very pretty post! Love all your gardening touches & adore cottage gardening - hope to see you for "Cottage Flora Thursday" -off to peek around your bog! xoxo

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

What a beautiful tour!! Oh, my. Pleased to meet you Giddy, I'm Giddy, too. Incredible garden!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What beautiful pictures. I love English gardens and thanks so much for taking us with you.

Katie said...

How perfectly loveling. :) What a nice way to start my winter laden morning.

Carol said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit.
Snowdrops were the first bulbs I learned to plant as a child. Love them.

Maggie said...

Hi Laura,
Visiting you for the first time today and loved seeing the snowdrops.
Spring came to Normandy for a few hours yesterday afternoon and didn't the flowers love it!
Me too!

A Town and Country Life said...

Beautiful photos. I grew up across the road from a bluebell wood in Kent, but I think snowdrops are just as beautiful as those bluebells.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

If you only knew how cold and dreary it is here you would understand how fabulous these photos are. Be still my heart...thank you for some gorgeous greens!!!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Beautiful...I love the snowdrops!!!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Hi Laura!

You are living our dream. So fun to meet a fellow blogger that lived in CO. England is so green a beautiful! I love your garden and I'd say the grass is greener on the other side :) Fun post! I love the birthday bulbs! Thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself. It will be fun to get to know you and your beautiful blog (aside from the mealworms:) xo

Victoria said...

Those are beautiful photo's! I'm originally from England and I so badly want to go and visit...someday! Thank you for sharing these lovely images:)

Melissa @ Lulliloo said...

What stunning photos - I'm so jealous of everyone down south who is already starting to get flowers - only a handful of snowdrops peeking through up here.
You're garden photos are lovely, the Snowdrop Weekend sounds lovely and English! - Melissa xx

Bonnie said...

We won't get enough of more gardens to make you giddy! Thanks for a fun happy post.

Bonnie said...

Darling header!

Privet and Holly said...

Goodness, aren't
you a linky godess
with this post!!!
I'm so in love with
these gardens, girlie!
This is exactly what
I imagined early spring
in England to be like...
yummy...Loved all of
the botanical info, too!
xx Suzanne

Donnie said...

What gorgeous photos.

Meera @ firstsense said...

The Waterperry Gardens look lovely, I shall have to visit soon!

How sweet are you with your 'birthday bulbs'!

I saw those mealworms at my local garden centre... picked them up before I realised what they were... they felt alive... eeeeuuu.

So glad you dropped by my blog, now I have found yours!

~ Meera
http://firstsense.wordpress.com

Anne said...

Hi Laura! what lovely pictures -- glad you joined the Flora party!

poindextr said...

Hi Laura,
those snowdrops are just lovely. And those gardens! Thanks so much for sharing. -Diane

Melissah from Scrapbook said...

I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
http://scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com/
I had a lot of fun putting it together maybe you would like to check it out if you have a spare minute.
x
Melissah

Teacup Moments said...

when i think about gardens i always think about English ones. you have the best in the world without a doubt! love your photos and your blog!

T@www.teacupmoments.com

Robynne's Nest said...

Hi Laura, yes I'm still alive! Great post, must visit when we get home as I'm looking forward to seeing a 'carpet' of snowdrops. The garden looks beautiful...did you say you got a spot of sunshine...hope there's lots around when we get back. I'm spending the day on the sun lounge today...sorry! Robx

Danielle said...

Oh gosh, that made me homesick!! I so miss that rich & deep green grass of winter...
Lovely pix, thanks for sharing!

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

These photos are gorgeous! Thanks you for sharing them with us!