26 April 2011

The Royal Wedding From My Throne: Part 1

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


I don't know if you've heard, but there is a little wedding coming up on Friday around here :)

What else can I add? I think the worldwide media has covered it thoroughly

So here is my American point of view in England


[image]


Most Brits seem to have a soft spot for William and his brother Harry. The love for his mom, Diana, has been transferred onto her two sons.  Will seems to be a cool, down-to-earth guy with an honorable job (RAF Search & Rescue helicopter pilot in Wales).  He'd be invited to my house for supper anytime.


[image]


And how adorable is Catherine?! Liked by the public, this beautiful 'commoner' from mining roots has a great sense of style and is well educated. Coming from a stable family makes her popular with the Queen. I'm guessing you've probably seen a few photos of Kate recently. This is one of my favs. And let's face it, she has great hair.


[image]


The fairy tale story is irresistible. They are possibly the first royal couple destined for the throne in the UK to marry for love. William and Kate are a modern couple too, having met in university and lived together for 9 years. 

As for the Queen, reportedly she is happy there is a fresh boost to the monarchy's popularity and looks forward to a stable future of the crown.

The people seem to have mixed feelings about their monarchy. While they question not only the relevance of a royal family in this day and age but also the justification of supporting their expensive lifestyle during this economic crisis. And yet the royal family continues to hold local and worldwide fascination.

I believe it has been a tricky balance as to how much to spend on the wedding - royal and grand yet not too ostentatious, as this country has been hard hit with difficult financial times.


Tea Towel
[image]


Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty Magazine, gave some royal wedding scoop at a talk I recently attended (she'll be broadcasting with Katie Couric at the wedding). Here are a few things she reported:

Hundreds of staff and some of the best wedding planners in the world have been working on the royal wedding around the clock. Many are ex-military employees, so the event is sure to work like clockwork with military precision.


[image]


Details you many not have thought of:

* There will be several bridal bouquets in case of mishaps

* A specialized hair stylist will be hired with tiara experience. Tiaras are very heavy, you know, and no one wants flat hair on her big day

* Kate will be well practiced getting in and out of the car. Like Princess Diana, it is likely Kate will have used a tablecloth pinned around her waist to duplicate the wedding dress


[image]


Following royal tradition...

* Kate's wedding ring will be made of rare Welsh Gold. William probably will not wear a wedding ring

* The cake will be cut with a sword

* The crowd will shout 'Give Her A Kiss' when the couple appears on the balcony of Buckingham Palace

* There will be a 'flypast' of military planes

* The honeymoon location has not been disclosed, but unlikely Africa since it is the rainy season, according to Ms Seward

* Where they will call 'home' - an apartment in Kensington Palace (London) and a house in Wales


[image]


You can count on many camping-out overnight in London to get a good view along the wedding route. Green Park and St James's Park will be ideal locations to save a spot. There will be media stands and big screens broadcasting the event in the surrounding parks. Although it probably will be difficult to catch a glimpse of the newlywed couple, I think the atmosphere and experience would be unforgettable.

The royal wedding is a national holiday. I suspect the reason the wedding is April 29th is because it is surrounded by a cluster of other bank holidays. If you take off work just 3 days this week in the UK, you would have yourself a nice 10-day break.  Many are fleeing the country to avoid the wedding madness or just to take advantage of the extra time off.

Some are thinking 'Is it over yet?' with local media (and trinket) oversaturation. Furthermore, there is a mild security concern of the event being targeted by terrorists and more anarchist demonstrations.

Nonetheless, there is no denying there a buzz in the air for this joyous, historical wedding day. Personally, I am VERY excited.

And although there have been rumors, insider Ingrid assured us Prince Charles will not abdicate (or shall I say 'abdi-Kate') the throne when his time comes to be crowned king. He will give his son relative normalcy and freedom for as long as possible before taking on big monarchical responsibilities.


[image]

Talk about wedding jitters - I can't even imagine how they feel

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a sunny Friday


The Royal Wedding Part II - Celebrating The Royal Wedding (here)

The Royal Wedding Part III - London, The Day Before The Wedding (here)


Have a great week!

42 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this post! I am so excited for the wedding! I have it set to record, but I plan on having my booty glued to the tv at 5 am Friday morning!!

Fiona said...

Will look forward to your full coverage Laura.

fairchildstreet said...

I am interested in what the wedding dress will look like.

m.e (Cathie) said...

thanks Laura, what a great source of info you are!
love those little details & looking forward to seeing it on Friday.
enjoy ♥

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Laura:
We hesitate to say anything here having been so firmly put down by 'Mollie' on your previous post when, in all honesty, we were, like all others who comment, merely expressing an opinion.

Whilst we do not share your particular interest in the forthcoming Royal Wedding, we have so much enjoyed this post for the enthusiasm which you bring to the subject, for the interesting images you have chosen to use, and for the viewpoint of someone who, whilst living in and knowing the country, is not totally British.

And whilst we shall not be watching the event itself on Friday, we shall most certainly be closely following all that you propose posting on this blog.

Meanwhile, have a really good week.

Taylor Made said...

I loved all that little bits of info...we will be watching here in Australia too.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Laura
Well wedding fever is live and well in Australia too... I'm a bit behind the times as I apparently haven't 'got myself a hat' for the big day.. haha.. oh well.. I suspect there will be many with their tv's tuned in on the big day..

Love that image of the girls playing princess.. so sweet..

Thanks for popping over my way... ciao xxx Julie

Hines-Sight said...

Laura,
Love your post today. As you know, I've been in wedding mood all month. It is great to hear a perspective from someone who is there.

I have to say though that I don't think I would want to be "there" with all the media, hustle and bustle, people camping out.

I look forward to your week, and I'll be particpating in your post of the month again.

Leigh

Beth said...

I've been away for a few days and it seems that wedding fever has hit Australia in that time. There are a few TV programmes on tonight just to get us in the mood, although I don't think it's anything like being there. I'm looking forward to your posts this week.
x

Marianne@Songbird said...

I was in London a few weeks ago and I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a lot of wedding frenzy yet.
I'll be watching on the tv, I think. Or might just catch a glimp of her dress on the tv news. I don't think I even sat through Willem and Maxima's (our prince and princess)wedding.
Guess I am not into the fairy tales.
Have fun watching and living it though!!!! And I loved all the wedding pics you choose for this post.

Razmataz said...

I am most excited about the wedding and plan to tape it so I don;t have to get up at 3 am here in Canada.

I personally like the monarchy and feel our society has very little pomp and cirmcumstance left and very few traditions. We need to keep our history. I also know that the British Royal family do a lot of good work.

I enjoyed this post!

Tai Tai said...

It'a so exciting isn't it?! I can't believe I lived there for 6 years and 6 months after I leave this is finally happening! Soak it up. It'll be the experience of a lifetime! Can't wait to see some snaps x

Laura said...

I so wanted to be in the UK for the wedding, but the hubby deemed it a too long a stay (as if there could be one)... anyhoo, I'm still throwing a Princess party for my little girls and expat friend, but it won't be the same as celebrating it at home. We had a street party back when Charles and Di married and it was the most amazing day... I only hope I can make it as much fun for my girls. Lx

Sunray Gardening said...

Great post to read this through your eyes. I will stay tuned to yours for the upcoming information. I think most of us are interested in this story.
Cher
Goldenray Yorkies

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Love the tea towel, it is interesting to read your viewpoint of this British Royal Wedding.

Amy said...

Hi Laura - thanks for your comment on my blog :) Lovely to 'meet' another expat - will keep an eye out for your insider's view on the wedding. xx

birdie blue said...

so appreciate the 'inside' info. my four girls are really looking forward to watching the wedding. it really is such a fairy tale.

xo
~molly

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I am sure it will be a lovely event...they really seem to be a lovely couple. Hope it all goes well, the world needs happy events like these every once in a while. Have a great day!

Robyn said...

I think it is great-isn't it nice to have good 'news' in the news for once. Sad there is no party at the British consulate in Uganda though...i'll be on the net watching it!

MNUKGIRL said...

Great post my friend!! Can't wait for Friday's post! :)

beetree said...

What a wonderful post! I love reading all the info you give. While I am not super into all this, and don't have t.v., I will have to look it up online at some point, just to see the dress! I love all your pictures. :)

Felicity said...

This is the best overview of the upcoming Royal event that I've read.
I really enjoyed your light touch without the hype and hyperbole that has seemed to infect the Australian media.
It will be wonderful to see the lives of these two special people unfold as they work together on their marriage whilst juggling their busy public lives.

xx Felicity

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for the view from your throne. I was hoping you would be posting about the wedding. Looking forward to your next thoughts, too.

Fondly,
Glenda

Kirsteen said...

I plan on watching to see the dresses and hair - shallow, I know.

I have four young sons so there won't be much call from them to watch it! I feel they should see some of it though, as it's an important part of our history.

I'm too young to remember watching Charles & Diana marry, but I do remember watching his brother Andrew's wedding a few years later.

I'm having some of my friends round for tea & cupcakes in the afternoon, but that's more to enjoy the holiday than celebrate the wedding!

Dianne said...

Hi Laura - I love reading all the bits and pieces about the big day! It must be a real buzz to be in London at the moment.

Privet and Holly said...

Laura, you put such
love and thought into
this post. I loved
getting "the scoop"
on all of the details
and the pictures you
selected really tied
into it all. Must have
taken you a long time
to put it together ~
thank you!!
xx Suzanne
PS: I think I'd be feeling
a bit more excited about
the nuptials if the couple
hadn't lived together for
nine years, first. NINE YEARS???
For me, takes some of the
fun out of it....

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hello lovely Laura,

What a greeeeat wedding post. I love all your lowdown on the big day. You know more about the British than me!!!!!

Sarahxx

flwrjane said...

Ok, one post and you have me hooked!

I'm a believer, er rather follower. Keep the stories coming.

xo jane

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

ya, i did hear something about a wedding happening over there. you are a gem for posting these nuggets of interest...i gobbled em up so thanks.

i'll be viewing from sunny arizona with my mommy who is BEYOND NUTS for royal anything! fun!

michele

Debora said...

Loved your post. I'm going to DVR the wedding and watch with tissue in hand!

Susan Kane said...

Love the photos, especially the bouquet of peonies. That day will surely be one to remember. My aunt was in England and saw Princess Margaret in her carriage on her wedding day. She still remembers every detail.

Iota said...

It's definitely exciting. I'm going to get up in the small hours to watch it live from US Central Time.

Sarah said...

What a terrific post Laura, actually I love all the posts you do in this style - giving us the details and the 'colour' of the UK through American eyes.

The excitement must be building to fever pitch in London. It's building here in Australia too (while I'm writing this there is a former royal chef banging on about what he cooked for Charles and Diana's wedding breakfast).

I'll be waiting for your Friday post with anticipation, and I'll be tuning in to the wedding - if only to ooh and aah at all the beauty!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks for your insight on this, Laura. I so enjoyed hearing it from your perspective. I hope you enjoy every minute of the celebration as I know we will be here in the US. But oh, to be in England!

I always like to hear Seward's perspective on things. In terms of Prince Charles (who I never thought would abdicate as that's just wishful thinking on some people's part, including my own, since he's trained all his life to be king), I hope and pray that the Queen NEVER abdicates. I hope she lives to be ancient, dies with her proverbial boots on, and outlives him. Sorry. He is still Public Enemy Number One with me after the way he treated Diana from Day One. Those cufflinks, the bracelet for Camilla, and the pictures of them on the honeymoon were enough for me to decide, though I had hoped he would come around. However, I knew he didn't love Diana from the beginning when the interviewer asked him about falling in love, and he said something like, "Whatever 'in love' means." I told my husband at that moment that Prince Charles didn't love her.

As to the current wedding, I'm thrilled for the couple, and she is adorable. She seems so level-headed, too. I'm very happy for both of them as I adore Princess Diana's sons. I hadn't seen the picture of Kate with the umbrella, and you're right, it's great! She is so beautiful, but she seems beautiful on the inside, too, where it really counts.

We've been getting some fairly good coverage on things, and last night I watched India Hicks who had been a brides maid in Princess Diana's wedding do a presentation. She interviewed David Emmanuel about Diana' dress, and they showed how difficult it was to fold the train, etc. I hate that the media have dredged up all the unplesantness about Diana's death, but that's part of the story, too, and undoubtedly shaped the boys' lives. It's still so sad for some of us to watch, but it's history.

While HM Queen Elizabeth wasn't free to choose a commoner, her marriage was a love match (at least on her part) as I understand that some of the royals weren't too pleased with her choice of a foreign prince, but she fell hard for him and chose him as the one. And arranged or not, Queen Victoria was wildly in love with Prince Albert, even making him Prince Regent. She went into deep mourning after he died and quit being seen in public for YEARS. But there are so many stories of unfaithfulness and treachery with the kings and queens through the years that I'm glad to see William is marrying for love because that will make it so much easier to face the challenges ahead. Of course, the challenges are a far cry from what the early royals faced when they actually ruled the country.

I'm glad that the Middletons have such a solid marriage as that sets a good example for both Catherine and William. And in one sense, I think William has seen how much his father adores Camilla, and as distasteful as the match is to some people, it is a love match so it sets an example there.

I read that HM feels the Middletons are solid, hence Kate is solid, and that is a good thing for a future King. All of that being said, I'm just ready for a beautiful wedding, and no one does it like the English!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Sheila, you get the award for the longest comment. And I love it!

You are so right about the love between Queen Victoria and Albert. Thank you so much for adding it here. XOL

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

It is so much fun to hear about someone "in the thick of it". My husbands family were recently here for a visit (they live near Windsor) and they expressed many of your same feelings.

I will be back to read some of your other posts in between packing for France and preparing for THE EVENT.

Thank you so very much for linking up! The happy day is merely hours away now. :)

Cori said...

Just posted your blog on my facebook page. My American friends have been asking me lots of questions so I sent them to your cutie-pie blog!

Katie said...

Thanks Laura--I loved hearing your perspective on this subject! You now have a new follower :) I'd love for you to visit again to Little Things Bring Smiles.

Thanks again!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Thanks for the insider's scoop (well someone living in Britain is close enough). I remember all the hoopla around Charles and Diana's wedding and loved reading all the details.

Heather Pranitis said...

How exciting that you live there! And I loved hearing your perspective. Looking for more of your posts. And I'm a new follower.

American in Bath said...

Thanks. This is really nicely done. I'm happy to see the marrying for love happening. My best wishes to them.

Paul said...

And it all ran smoothly! The balcony scene and the spitfire fly over were particularly moving, esp for a Brit! :-)

Paul
http://fromsheeptoalligators.blogspot.com/