10 June 2011

Wimbledon Tennis


Last week I toured Wimbledon,
home to the oldest tennis championship in the world

Opening day is in a few weeks
- June 20th -




While I love playing tennis,
professional sports don't interest me

So I'll keep this brief and focus on interesting trivia :)


A side court for early matches & warm up practice
Media boxes behind windows

I realized early on that
there is no 'T' in the word WimbleDon

Wimbledon is the name of a lovely suburb right outside of London
-close enough to be reached by The Tube-


London skyline from Wimbledon


Wimbledon tennis traditions include a strict white dress code for competitors
and strawberries & cream for hungry spectators
(the cream is watery and thin, not whipped)

I tried some so I could report back - don't I just give & give?
Yum

{Imagine a photo of it here.
I ate it too fast to photograph}

Tennis had been an indoor sport
when Major Walter Clopton Wingfield had the idea 
to play on the grassy fields of a croquet club in 1875

That croquet club adopted lawn tennis in 1877


Famous Centre Court with its retractable roof
Although big, it still felt cozy

The Wimbledon Championships is still hosted by
'The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club' today,
a private club comprised of invited members only
(croquet is still played but in a different location)

The first tennis competition started as a clever way
to raise money for a new lawn roller to smooth the courts


The lawn roller that started it all


To keep the private club feel, you will notice no big advertising signage
I like that :)

The grass courts are completely torn up to dirt after the championship
and reseeded for the following year


Although missing Courts No. 3 & 4 will be posted by opening day,
there is no Court 13


Jumping on this 11/2 hour guided tour was quite easy with a week's notice
Just dreamy for the tennis enthusiast ;)

- all photos by me -
Read 'The Wimbledon Queue' post here

Content from tour, Wimbledon & Wikipedia

20 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

What a fun tour. I just finished reading "OPEN" the autobiography of Andre Aggasi. It was so well sritten . . . so I have a fresh picture of Wimbledon in my head. I do think though, I might have mistakenly spelled it with a t. :)

Fondly,
Glenda

Tai Tai said...

Great tour! I was lucky enough to see the women's final at Wimbledon a few years ago and it was such a great atmosphere, steeped in so much tradition and old-schoolness! xx

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Many years ago I used to attend Wimbledon every year without fail, some years getting really good tickets. It is so interesting to read about these things from your point of view. Cricket, now tennis what next? Have a good weekend.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Thanks for the tour and trivia and for all you do for us (ie: the strawberries & cream!) I love that it's not plastered in billboard ads - it feels so classy! Loving these sports posts - I'd love to hear about Polo!

Pop on over today... I've passed something along to you xo

Meri said...

I DREAM of going to Wimbledon, I can't wait to watch! Lucky you!

Pet said...

Well, I for one, would love to watch a match there!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I have never been so to see your visual tour was fun. It's so steeped in history that it would be a thrill to just sit in those green stands. Enjoy your weekend!!

Cheers ~ Deb

Raine and Sage said...

Lovely tour! I always enjoy watching Wimbledon and The Autralian Open.
Everything is so green.

NYC, Style and a little Cannoli said...

great post since I am a tennis fan and attend the US Open every year! Would love to attend at the All England club....and take great tennis photos as well !!

Robyn said...

CANT'T. WAIT. FOR. WIMBELDON! YYYEAAAHHHHH. GO ANDY!

Taylor Made said...

Thanks for the tour and all the info...probably not somewhere I will have the opportunity to visit.

KimberlyJ said...

I love the London skyline pic! Not much of a tennis fan but the post was interesting.

Kym Hamer said...

Good grief I live down the road in Kingston, I love tennis, have been to the championships there but have never been on this tour (as opposed to THE TOUR which would indicate that I played better tennis than I actually do).

Shame on me!

It goes on the Before I Stop Living In Kingston bucket list with immediate effect...

I Dream Of said...

Looks like fun! When I spent the summer studying in the UK we skipped Wimbledon and went to the Royal Regatta at Henley Instead. I've always wanted to go back for little tennis!

Sarah Gibbs said...

I have always wanted to go to wimbledon to watch the tennis I am a big tennis fan too although i havnt played in ages & ages & tend to just watch my son as he has lessons on mondays & plays at school too. Think Wimbledon would be a lovely atmosphere (especially if the sun is shining) just bring on the strawberrys & champagne

Missy said...

I love Wimbledon!!! Me and my twin were treated to go down on the final day for our 21st. I actually saw Roger Federer in the flesh! I loved it!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!
Oh- I don't like strawberries and cream: how much of a fake was I ?! haha!!

Nieves R said...

I was in Wimbledon in my twenties, for a summer studying English and I enjoyed being there but I didn't have the chance to visit the Wimbledon Tennis Courts, so, thanks for showing me the inside! Kisses and have a great week ahead!

Meercat said...

That's my kind of sports writing...you touched on clothing, food, and gardening! LOL

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I've never really got into Wimbledon. I know, I know: how can I call myself British and not be into Wimbledon?!!

But I DO love strawberries and cream. Yum!!

Sarahx

Jane said...

Ooh, another intriguing post, Laura. Wimbledon is always one of the highlights of my winter night-time telly viewing, given the time difference with Australia. Looking forward to it! J x