21 August 2011

Blogging Tips Series: Increasing Blog Traffic

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


When I first started blogging, I had no idea what I was doing or where it would take me

I found as 'followers' increased,
my motivation did too

Here's a bit of
what I've learned so far about increasing readership...


[via Pinterest]


COMMENT & FOLLOW

Discover new blogs
Connect with them through their comment section and become a follower

Indicate that you are new to their blog in a comment (ie,'...your newest follower')
so they comment and follow you back

Find new blogs by
clicking on blogs listed on others' sidebars
or check out those who left comments on blogs that interest you

And if someone new comments on your blog, 
it is polite to return the favor
with a 'follow' and comment :)


[via Pinterest]


BLOG FRIENDS & NETWORKING

When I first started,
there was a core group of bloggers I got to know online from 3 different countries
(hi, girlies!)

It began with commenting on each others' blogs regularly
-we each had under 100 followers at the time-
and through our comments (and some emails) we got to 'know' one another

. Lucky me, I even had tea with bloggers Sarah and Rona

Some of these bloggers linked to me at different times in their posts
or added me to their sidebar (thank you!), 
which brought a few new readers to my blog

 So put yourself out there, make connections, and see what happens :)


[via Pinterest]


LINKY PARTIES

Linky Parties are a good way to meet other people like you, 
especially when the party has a theme that interests you
such as photography, crafts, or decor

Add your post to a party or participate by
commenting and following the blogs you connect with
 {it can be a goldmine of interesting blogs}

Or you might want to host a Linky Party on your blog

I host a Linky Party at the end of each month, 'Post Of The Month Club' 
- not to self-promote, but just say'n :)


[via Pinterest]


MORE WAYS TO READ

You wouldn't know it, but I actually have a lot more email subscribers than followers
 - quite a few RSS subscribers too -
which puts me over 1000 readers
Wow!

If you haven't signed up for Feedburner to forward your new posts via email, hop to it, my friend
(Blogger now offers it as a Gadget)


A little spring cleaning
[via Pinterest]

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Tidy up your blog regularly

Make your text easy to read with a clean background and easy-on-the-eyes font

Your 'Follow' button should be near the top (if that's important to you)

And images or photographs will break up text, making your posts easier to read

Make each post your best :)



Do you have any tips to share?

More Blogging Tips:
Increasing Comments On Your Blog (here)
Photo Editing (coming soon)

24 comments:

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

It's always interesting hearing what other bloggers have found useful to increase traffic.

I SO enjoyed having lunch with you when we met up. It was such good fun. And I know I couldn't stop staring at you. I am officially your stalker now!! Haha!!

Sarahx

Ellie said...

Great post, learning as I go along. You are right in saying that the people who follow and comment the more motivated you become. I have to work out what a RSS subscriber is.
Have to say though, I am enjoying it hugely. Lol.
Thanks for sharing

Emma said...

Very interesting! Just added the email subscription feeder!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Sarah - stalker right back at ya ;)

Ellie - on Google, its the 'Feed' gadget ;)

Emma - yea!

Barbara said...

such great tips! Thanks

Laura said...

Aww thanks for the shout out... I still read every single one of your posts. Even though life has been a little busy for me recently, I still squeeze in time to read my favourite blogs. Connecting with these has become so much more than I'd have imagined, meeting some wonderful individuals! Hope you're having a great weekend! Lx

Hines-Sight said...

Laura, great post. Send me an e-mail when you have the chance about your subscription service. I added it to my blog early on, but I don't know how to see the numbers of subscription. I noticed my button is different than yours. I did mine through blogger.

Pet said...

This Post is really useful. I've read it twice and then once more again. I think I do follow what you propose to do on your advice - more or less - but my readership doesn't really grow. It must be my awful English :-)

Jen of Country Weekend said...

Great tips--thank you!

Liene said...

Thanks for a very helpful post. Added Feedburner today as well.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hines-Sight: I signed up for email subscription directly with Feedburner before it was a gadget - so I go to my Feedburner account to see my stats. Sorry I can't be more help :)

mrs cheese said...

Hi thank you for visiting my blog.
I'm just off for a pootle around your lovely blog now.
x

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This is a grat help...thanks. It is always exciting to increase your readers and followers.

Ola said...

good and very true advices!

Amanda said...

I really appreciate this advice, I am quite jealous of your volume of "followers"! I am still fairly new to the blogging world so it's great to get tips from more seasoned bloggers. Keep the advice coming!

Amanda
"American AngloFUN"
http://amandamolly.blogspot.com

Ruby Jean said...

Okay I just came across your blog today....And love all the info you shared...especially since I am a knew blogger... : ) I also will be signing up to follow and will certainly be linking to your post of the Month club...

demie said...

thanks you for visting my blog. i don`t really have any tips, than one need to be polite and nice to others. just like in real life : )

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the tips. I do have a question: I deleted several pictures on my sidebar and wanted to add new ones. A note came up that I had reached my limit on Picassa Web albums on Blogger and would have to purchase more space. I did not ask for this. I used Picassa to edit maybe two pictures.

I enjoy your adventures very much.

Privet and Holly said...

I never miss one
of your posts, as
I subscribe via
e-mail. I have so
enjoyed our bloggy
friendship and still
hope to meet "for
real" one of these days!
Love you, friend!!
xx Suzanne

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Bonnie - hmm, you should have been able to edit more than two photos in Picasa without paid storage. I have over 5 years worth of 1000s of photos stored on Picasa, and I started paying for storage about 2 years ago. You could try PhotoBucket or Picnik to edit as an alternative.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Suzanne - Me too :)

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Laura, thanks for visiting my blog, leaving a comment and following me!! Your blog is quite fun. I liked the chocolate bar taste test. We've been to England and Scotland in '92 with our then 11 and 13 year old kids. Love it there and would dearly love to return as we have friends and family there in different parts. Have a wonderful week! Blessings, Pamela

Grammy Goodwill said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm a new blogger and there is so much to learn.

Jane said...

Oh, Sweetheart! Thanks for the lovely mention. We're both so lucky to call Laura and Suzanne our friends as well. Great tips, as usual. You are really providing a community service here ☺.

I have some more tips at http://www.lifeonplanetbaby.com/p/blogging-tips_27.html if anyone's interested.

Onwards and upwards, Laura! You are a star in Blogland's glittering firmament.

J x