30 September 2011

Mushroom Madness + Post Of The Month Club

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

In England, we are definitely having an 'Indian Summer' right now - a welcome warm spell




I was surprised to hear the English use the term 'Indian Summer',
for I always assumed the phrase was a Native American reference

But maybe they are referring to the country of India where it is hotter?
Living here often tests what I think to be true...

So I 'wiki-ed' it, and sure enough, 
'Indian Summer' is an American colloquialism that jumped across the Atlantic

Not only am I doing the 'happy dance' about the sunny warm weather
but also for the annual autumn return of

{ the magical Fly Agaric Toadstool }




I had assumed these only existed in fairy tales, until last year when
I nearly peed in my pants when I stumbled upon my first ones!

As large as saucers, these toadstools are as poisonous as they are beautiful
Traditionally, pieces of the mushroom were floated in milk to attract & kill flies

Not that you would eat one, but if you did
you'd find yourself with stomach cramps, hallucinations, or worse
{oh my}

Here is how the Fly Agaric peeks its head as it emerges




As it ages, its top becomes concave and serves as a bowl for catching rain water
Don't you just love nature and all the multi-layers it offers throughout the year?!

Here is another beauty I spied in the woods
(I won't use the word 'forest' for it is actually a legal term - who knew?)




I had to lift my camera up to capture these lovelies

This ancient beech tree reminds me of the tree from the film 'Avatar'
To be honest, I don't have a sufficient wide-angle lens to capture its grandeur

Thanks for tromping through heath and woods with me :)

- all photos by me -
---

Welcome to our September Post Of The Month Club!
I am pleased as punch you are here :)

Time for our meet & greet

* Bloggers, just link up your best post of the month *
And see, you've already done the work

* Share the love by dropping by a few other blogs and say 'hi',
if you can *

* Would my nifty button be a nice addition to your lovely sidebar or post? *







Photobucket


Yep, we'll do this the last day of each month

* Don't forget to become a follower here too *

Don't be shy
Jump in :)

Happy October Blogging, you ray of autumn sunshine, you

P.S. I have family in town, so I may be delayed in reading your post
but I will drop by in the next few days :)

 

30 comments:

Miss Sandra said...

Dear Laura,
That's one beautiful mushroom! It truly is fairytale-like. One can almost picture a fairy sitting upon it.
I'm one of those people who prefers autumn without an Indian summer. I'm a winter gal. :)
You recently asked me if I was the one singing the song in the video I posted...yes that's me! Thank you for the kind words!
I wish you a most blissful Autumn! xo
Sandra

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

I looked at the picture before reading thinking that mushroom wasn't even real. Looks like something out of Alice and Wonderland doesn't it? Love all of your beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Felicity said...

Oh Laura you made me giggle, I think I may have almost peed my pants too seeing such a glorious mushroom in the wild.

Thank you for hosting this special hop each month, I'm looking forward to making some new friends.

Waving from across the seas,
xx

Pet said...

I wouldn't miss your Post of the Month for nothing! I wouldn't miss your Posts either, with so much needed (for me) English lessons, Indian from India summers, legal forest and free woods, and now mushrooms lessons too :-)
And yes you did mention Blurb. I know Blurb well (I've just posted my latest BlurbBook!) but to make a BlogBook look really nice I think it needs to be composed page by page, and I have still to find the time for it.(I will). Thanks.
Of course I will first find the time (during the weekend) to check on your other Posts of the Month, always a nice read.

Liene said...

I love going mushroom hunting! (Although I take more pictures than pick mushrooms because I have to take a knowledgeable guide with and they always spot the good ones first...) Thanks for hosting once again!

Daydream Living said...

Enjoy your family time Laura,
Maureen x

Jeanne said...

Magical Mushrooms Laura! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Jeanne xx

PS..thanks for the tip on adding the subscribe box to the top of my
Finding My Way in England blog. :)

Joyce said...

When you live in England you realize many things exist you thought were only true in fairy tales : )

I love tromping thru the woods...fortunately we have a lot of them nearby here too.

Enjoy your company!

Hines-Sight said...

What great photos. The mushrooms are so neat. Love them in the tree.

Robyn said...

Really...an Indian summer! That is nice...prolongs the long winter! Looking forward to the party!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

We love the toadstools too. Makes the walks in the forests with the kids more magical.

I Dream Of said...

Those mushrooms look like something out of Alice in Wonderland! Thanks for bringing us together for another post of the month party!!!

Gizmo said...

Beautiful pictures!
+follow :)

Barbara said...

That toadstool is so cute! I also thought they only existed in fairy tales!

Ola said...

oh wow, great shots, you captured so much colors!

HolleyGarden said...

That does look like a mushroom from a fairy tale! And I love the ones lined up on the limb, too. Post of the Month sounds like a fun idea! I'll have to go back and see which post I like best.

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Great mushrooms. Have a great weekend and enjoy the Indian Summer weather. I am delighted to be participating this month and will visit other participants over the next few days.

Belinda @ Wild Acre said...

Crazy mushrooms! What a glorious week we have had in the UK. xx

ramblinbess said...

I LOVE your mushroom pics. What with the woods and the magic mushrooms, I feel like I'm lost in a fairy tale.

Pink Princess said...

Hi Laura, that's one pretty mushroom there! I didn't think that kind existed for real! Thanks for sharing and hosting.

Taryn said...

Such a great idea - will definitely link up next month! :)

Emily said...

The cool weather is just now moving in . . . finally! And what a delight to be able to enjoy the crisp weather against the backdrop of these lovely autumn posts. Oh, and by-the-way, Laura, the kids absolutely loved the "real" mushroom photos!

My Garden Diaries said...

Great pictures! Those toadstools are amazing!!! I too would have about peed my pants if I saw one...they look like they are from another planet!

Irene said...

The English countryside is amazing. So glad to find you again this month! Happy Autumn.

Catherine said...

Hello, I am new to your beautiful blog! The pictures are magnificent. I am following your blog and hope that you will give me a visit too and follow if you like my blog.
Wonderful meeting you. Blessings, Catherine

GirlSprout said...

The mushrooms looks so otherworldly.

mimi_tulipánová said...

Hi,you have nice blog, I find much inspiration here. Sorry, but I do not know English, I write with Google. Greetings from Bratislava, Daniela

Jane said...

Oh Laura, that toadstool is absolutely the bees' knees! If only Miss India could grow them here at Planet Baby HQ ☺. Just fabulous - thanks for sharing. J x

Pom Pom said...

Oh, those ARE lovely toadstools! Thank you for sharing!
We are having Indian Summer, too. The leaves are changing though, and that's great for camera walks!
I hope you have a lot of fun with your family!

chris said...

Those fairy toadstools are incredible. I am excited to see that they really exist. Lovely pictures.