20 March 2012

We're The Flintstones

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

Heeelllloooo! I'm back :)
How I've missed our conversations this month!
I feel we have so much to catch up on...

We've moved 
and not without at few stories to pack up along the way...




I must admit to being a little nervous about our second English move

Our initial move to this country was bizarre
with movers living in the back of their truck,
asking to use our loo and shower
and needing us to buy them cigarettes as their moving truck was too big
to maneuver through the streets to the local store (and too far to walk)




Thank goodness I knew to have tea warm and ready when the movers arrived this time,
for where else but England would movers want to start their day with tea
just 30 minutes into their work day?

But let me tell you, it was complicated :)
Some wanted milk, some wanted sugar
- lumped sugar, not granulated sugar -
and biscuits
(thanks to a good friend who delivered lumps and cookies to solve my predicament)


'Kitty Boy' loved playing in the paper


Aside from not having the proper ingredients for tea, 
I woke up that morning to the dilemma of no power steering in my car,
thus making corners and roundabouts impossible to complete

So while I was in the middle of the move,
I had to negotiate the garage to see me

They don't have the part in, but guess what, I'm coming in anyway
because I don't know what else to do.
I'm about to move to Wits End Lane!

So Mr Nice Car Guy got out his duct tape to repair the hole in my 
power steering hose
Definitely not MOT approved, but it worked like a charm;
I was grateful and on my way - yea!

After teary eyed goodbyes with neighbors,
I was off to my new village in a duct taped car
and opened the front door to see...

 { as harps played }
American goodies (Oreos, M&Ms, Tootsie Rolls), champagne,
a lawn bowling game, and a giant bouquet of flowers from my new landlord
to welcome us to our new home

Like an episode from The Price Is Right,
I then knew I had picked the right door (house).
I thought I was going to faint with delight!


Our street


As we unpacked over the last 2 weeks,
our friendly new neighbors have dropped by (one has chickens & Shetland ponies)
 and someone mysteriously left her famous Lemon Drizzle Cake at our front door
Can you believe our luck?!

We are completely settled in
and we LOVE our new house, neighbors, and setting

Just the other day
my son was followed by a friendly pheasant while riding his bike,
and my husband had to use a torch (flashlight) to find is way to the train station 
because there are no street lights in this semi-rural area


Houses in this area are covered in 'flint stones'


Yep, we're going to love it here

We're bringing the 'Yee-Haw' to Surrey :)

- all photos by moi -

36 comments:

Razmataz said...

It sounds like your new neighbors are as good as your last ones...the Uk is good like that. Where in Surrey are you living?

Mandi @ Southern Gnome said...

Bizarre moving experiences to say the least, but a very memorable ones. Sounds like your new place is going to be just a great as the last. And what a great landlord to leave such treats for you.

Jennifer said...

What a story! Your new location sounds lovely. How sweet of your new landlord to leave a thoughtful basket

TexWisGirl said...

that is AWESOME! love your landlord's gift and your welcoming neighbors!

topchelseagirl said...

Yabba dabba doo. Sounds like you've picked a great house/area/landlord.

Daydream Living said...

Glad you are back online,
enjoy another part of England and Yee-Haw is the way to go! (you are so funny)
hugs, Maureen x

Robynne's Nest said...

Oh Laura, what's the address, I'm moving there too....so happy for you..sounds like you're all going to enjoy yourselves and soak up that rural English atmosphere. Robx
p.s. by the way...there is a village somewhere around here called Wits End..I was google earthing before we moved, and decided that I wanted to live in this village and tell everybody back home that...'I am at my Wits End'...

Knitting Nix said...

Glad your move went well and your neighbours sound great!!

beetree said...

I have never heard of a lanlord leaving anything but an address to send the rent check! What an amazing welcome- so glad you are moved in and love your new home. :)

Ariana said...

So glad to hear that your move went so well. And super heart-warming to hear about your kind neighbors, both new and old. Welcome home!

Ola said...

nice to see you here again!

Life and travelling
Cooking

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

I am a Surrey girl born and bred and having spent the first fifty plus years of my life living there I am going to be following your Surrey adventures with interest.

barefoot mama said...

awesome! glad you are back...I missed you! ~ B

Patricia said...

Great to see you again ! Congrats on the successful move ! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME PICS OF THE NEW PLACE !!

beetree said...

Uh, that would be lanDlord! :)

Jeanne @ Collage of Life said...

Congratulations on your move Laura...I am so excited for you. There is nothing like settling in a new home. Such an adventure. Look forward to reading all about it. :) xx

greenthumb said...

Sounds like you made the right move. I bet you have lots to explore, and things to do, have fun.

chris said...

What an adventure! It sounds like you've found a lovely place to stay a while.

~Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

You are going to have so much to share about your new location. It sounds great already!

Felicity said...

Congratulations on choosing 'the right door' Laura, can't wait to hear all the adventures in your sparkling new neighbourhood.

Happy day!
x

elaine rickett said...

Glad your move went okayish - sounds like a lovely area you have moved too - have missed your posts and happy you are back in the blogosphere.

Jenny Woolf said...

You sound as if you have certainly fallen on your feet! So glad you like your new home, and the glimpses of it and the neighbourhood are charming. Look forward to the tour!

Jane said...

Woo hoo! You'll have a 'yabba do' time there for sure, Laura ☺. It's wonderful to have you back. J x

Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) said...

Lovely post. Loved the tea bit.

lizzybradbury said...

Glad it all went off ok and glad to have you back!

The Blogless Sister said...

New reader says welcome home !

Barbara said...

Tea for the movers, really. I love the picture of the flintstone!! Welcome back.

Kate and Russ said...

Congratulations on the new digs! Sounds lovely. I think we should celebrate with an open house wine night, perhaps? Even duct tape is hard to find in this country!!

Mrs. Sutton said...

Ha ha - that is just SO funny. The image of the removal men needing tea after 30 minutes is SO accurate! I live in the East of England, and the first thing we do when ANYONE comes to work on the house or garden is offer them a cup of tea. It's a reflex - as if the only way we can cope through the first 5 minutes of meeting anyone/doing anything is after a life saving cup of the golden brew! Can't wait to hear more. Sounds like you have stumbled upon a wonderful community - Lemon drizzle cake & Oreos - how charming!

Gris fleur said...

I'd loooooove to come for tea then...now that you know how to make it :))))

lisaroyhandbags said...

Now that's my idea of a neighbourhood - the idillic English countryside where neighbours bring you baked goods! The torch made me laugh - it reminded me of when we lived next door to The Edge in Killiney, Ireland and I needed a torch to find my way down our driveway (not a lot of people walked in that area). And gosh, could you imagine being welcomed at my door by The Edge bringing me lemon drizzle cake? :)

Kay G. said...

It really looks lovely where you have moved to...and I love those stones of flint!

Zosia said...

Oh, understand completely. Moving from Canada to Poland was something else as well...and I didn't have the movers to help, so I had to amuse myself while packing like this http://polonicahomeagain.blogspot.com/2011/01/cardboard-box-magic-trick-sztuczka-z.html :-). Have a great weekend.

Pondside said...

If you bring the Yee-Haw you are sure to be a big hit with the neighbours! Life will be good!

Kim H said...

I'm visiting here from Felicity's (Gifts of Serendipity) and how very right she was to say what a gorgeous blog you have. I hope your move and new home brings much adventure and lovliness to your life. You sound like you have the most gorgeous neighbours ever.

Irene said...

So glad to hear you're moving to a place with nice neighbors! My eldest is visiting her best friend in England right now. It's her first trip to the country. I hope she likes it as much as I do! All the very best in your new home. Post of the month or not, I'll be stopping by again!