19 April 2012

On Vacation With The British & Airplane Suggestions

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


We went to Florida for Spring Break last week


You can see we had the place to ourselves


English schools always have Spring Break during Easter

Because most American schools had had their break weeks earlier, 
it felt like (sounded like) half the tourists were English in Orlando

I felt a deeper appreciation for English roundabouts which keep traffic moving
for the countless Orlando stoplights were ill-timed, making me a little ill-grumpy

As you would expect, the English are very polite tourists
with well behaved children

But something about Florida brought out a different side to the English travelers
I hadn't witnessed in other countries I'd seen them in

1. Curiously the English seemed more patriotic than usual, 
often wearing English paraphernalia such as
the Union Jack, the Flag of England, or the Royal Arms of England
(however, their patriotism would be lost on most Americans
who are not familiar with the last two)


Flag of England & Royal Arms of England
via Wikipedia


2. Quite a few tempers flared among English family members at the water park 
like an episode from The Osbornes 
(perhaps too much sun?)

3. How the English loved the American burgers! (Me too!)

With a smile,
I wanted to tell my fellow British air passengers to expect
an 'overhead locker' instead of an 'overhead rubbish bin'
when the flight attendant referred to the overhead bin for luggage storage :)

Sitting in the 'cattle car' section on the LONG flight 'home' from Orlando to London (7+ hours)
I was thinking about ways my travel could be improved and time maximized


LOVE British Airway's On Demand entertainment system


Just a few ideas airlines should consider on those long hauls
that feel like they last forever...

Built-in ice chests next to seats stocked with yummy drinks and treats
Airplane seats double as massage chairs
Seat belts jiggle to melt away a few pounds
A pedicure and fresh hair-do while in seat - during no turbulence, of course :)

Free WiFi
A chill out zone for kids
A library-like work area with tables, chairs, good lighting
Lectures and crash courses about your destination (history, foreign language, etc)

Stationary bikes for exercise
Lighting to help adjust biorhythms to new time zone

And for goodness' sake, more bathrooms!! Blimey!

Ahhh, depart the plane pampered, productive, and revitalized :)

Just dreaming,
but do you have anything to add? 

Any good ideas on tackling jet lag? Do share :)

photos by me

33 comments:

Robynne's Nest said...

The only way to tackle jet lag...fly business (or first)!! Bout to hop on a 22 hour flight tonight...at least I'm flying premium economy...a little more wiggle space and the A380 is a pretty good ride!! Robx

Sunray Gardens said...

I don't fly. A couple times was more than enough for me. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Cher Sunray Gardens

brie. said...

we just got back from florida also - but miami, where we to encountered a number of brits - many wearing british shirts etc, it was like a day at the footie :) i do have to say though - i was hoping for slightly better weather upon our return - it's COLD!

i think everything is improved on planes by sleepaids - before, during, after.

my only jetlag solution (fell asleep on the tube home twice this week) coffee in the morning, earlier bedtimes at night. (lame, i know!)

Emma said...

As a former hostie... with probably months lost to jet lag fog I highly recommend taking a melatonin/B vit supplement and also staying awake if it is daylight as long as you can or going to sleep as soon as you can, if it is night time. You have to do it from the moment you disembark the aircraft. I know how tedious it is, especially with kids! xx

TexWisGirl said...

i give you major kudos for making the long trip to orlando! no rest for the wicked there! :)

Expat mum said...

Due to mega millions of my husband's air miles, I fly long haul business a lot and although it's lovely, it never gets rid of jet lag. In the 20+ years I've been flying back and forth across the Atlantic I've never really found a cure. I also make no attempt to get onto the new time zone and just sleep when I"m tired so that probably doesn't help.
Our (American) school had last week off two so we went to Costa Rica where there were also a lot of Brits. You can always tell (apart from the accent obviously) because they're the ones yelling at their kids and generally not having a good time!

Priscilla said...

I read in English actor, Michael York's autobiography, that he cuts out brown paper (grocery bag) inserts for his shoes to help jet lag. I always think I'll try it, but never have. When I fly to Europe from the West coast, where I live, it is more like 24 hour flight time. I love the idea of exercise equipment on board.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Interesting, coming from a Brit :) XOL

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hmm, I'll try the bag if you'll try it :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Great idea :) Thx!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Safe travels!!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

It was shocking to come back to 1 degree weather :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

We did - it was a great vacation :) Thx!

beetree said...

Haha- jiggly seat belts! That makes me laugh- thinking about those old machines. An elderly German couple who were neighbors when I was young had one, and I used to go visit them and play with it. Was it nice to be back in the States for a bit? Did you catch up on any missed favorites while you were here? :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I was hoping someone would catch that :) We had a great time in the States - eating our way through the country and visiting Target, of course!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Gosh, sounds like you've covered all the bases.
When you start an airline, I'm flying it!
The sad thing I would have thought that was like a red cross flag or something and my mother is from ENGLAND!

Iota said...

Interesting to hear about the patriotism. It's making a come-back, I think.

Inggrid Monalita said...

wow! Great vacation! U have a lovely blog, sweetie:)

Wanna follow each other?

Have a nice day!

Privet and Holly said...

I like all of your suggestions!

So happy that your trip was
a memorable one, despite some
grumpy tourists and a long flight.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

xo Suzanne

Jessille said...

look so much fun there...i think its a great vacation
btw if u like lets follow each other
jessillesilv.blogspot.com

Felicity said...

What a genius list of suggestions for the airlines Laura - I particularly loved the crash course on your destination and the jiggly seatbelt.

Happy weekend Lovely!
xx

Dave D said...

I would like to think that you are right, sadly though most of the "patriotism" is just support for the England football team. Hopefully the St George's celebrations on the 23rd April will be better, as some of the press seem to deem it a worthy cause this year but it's worthwhile remembering that the real English patron saint is St.Edmund, celebrations should be on November 20th.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Ah ha - that makes sense that they were wearing their football team jerseys. I'll have to look up the St Edmund info, as I thought it was St George... Thx :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

You too :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

It seemed an obvious addition, looking at my muffin top with the seatbelt on the plane :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Popping over now :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Popping over now :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

You've learned your one thing for the day. Now you are done for today :)

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Great dreams, oh and I do find that the Brits can be so embarrassing in holiday mode!

Dave D said...

St. George was a bit of Norman propaganda (he was probably Turkish), thought up after they invaded in 1066 as they tried to eliminate all traces of the Anglo Saxons (St. Edmund was the original Anglo Saxon English patron saint).

topchelseagirl said...

I'll fly your airline when you start it!

Filipa said...

Love your ideas!!!...
traveling in a plane maybe would become easier for me... :)

XOXO

Tracy Price said...

It's a good thing that the two countries don't share the same spring breaks. This makes me curious on how other Americans behave when they travel in droves to the UK. Do they show the same patterns of conduct? That would be an iinteresting thing to find out. Well, I hope you had lots of fun on your travel to Florida, and I do hope some one form airline companies read your tips on long haul travels.

Tracey Price @ CylleniusTravelServices.co.uk