29 May 2012

Celebrating Queen Elizabeth II

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


Are you ready?!




As THE week begins,
follow my posts as The Diamond Jubilee unfolds
to celebrate 60 years of Queen Elizabeth II's reign

'I declare before you all that my whole life,
whether it be long or short, 
shall be devoted to your service
and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong'

- Princess Elizabeth, age 21, five years before coronation





Biographer William Shawcross describes the Queen as
'very steady and unassuming, but allowing herself to move with the times'

At age 86,
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest lived 
and second longest reigning monarch of the United Kingdom
(Queen Victoria reigned 63 yrs)

and is the second longest serving current head of state in the world
(King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand is longest)  

She has no intention of abdicating, although she may reduce her commitments over time
Graced with good genes, the Queen Mother passed away at age 101 in 2002


- photos by me -




Source: The Sunday Times Magazine, May 27 2012; Wikipedia

12 comments:

Robyn said...

i am not particularly a royalist-but I think the Queen was just so beautiful when she was younger...and I wish we were doing something more here to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee

Robyn said...

since we are not having a day off-I have decided (just now) to have a little party in my classroom and make bunting etc. It is a British school after all! :)

Sandra said...

A charming picture of the Queen and Prince Philip riding in the open carriage. I always admire her pastel-coloured outfits that suit her style so well. If I'm as lovely at 86, I will have no complaints!
Have a lovely week.

Tanya said...

I found this Time article interesting -- lots of facts about the Queen. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2114386_2114388_2115566,00.html?xid=newsletter-weekly

Thanks for the tip on Byron's!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

That was a great article - thanks for passing along!

Pom Pom said...

Hi Laura! Hooray! I'm so glad you'll share with us! I kept waking up in the night, thinking about the Jubilee. I'm not sure why, but I'm very excited about it!

ann said...

How exciting. Of course we get plenty of news coverage here. The princes are being interviewed tonight by Katie Couric. We have that fascination, you know. I'll enjoy your point of view.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Great pics - so excited for this week!
Mary x

Loree said...

Great pics. I am looking forward to the Jubilee celebrations. I just love the royal family.

Egretta Wells blog said...

Beautiful photos...I quite frankly love the queen, love all the pomp and ceremony, all the "proper" ways to do things, love the UK and thanks for sharing your interesting life there.

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

That old car is sweet! The royal family certainly has an interesting history! Not sure how I really feel about them, but I do understand their appeal to the masses. :)

greenthumb said...

I hope you have fun, I bet the jubilee celebrations will be great.