30 May 2012

The Diamond Jubilee & Window Shopping

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


With the upcoming Diamond Jubilee and the Summer Olympics,
this will be a historical summer in Great Britain!
* squeal *


Submitted by
10 year old Katherine Dewar of Chester,
this official emblem was selected in a competition

Along with festive bunting and 'Best of British' slogans,
I see it frequently






Here is the line up for the public celebration 
of Queen Elizabeth's 60 year reign

Sat 2 June
The Queen attends Epsom Derby

Sun 3 June
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh travel in a flotilla on River Thames
{ can't wait! }

Mon 4 June
Concert at Buckingham Palace
A network of 2012 beacons to be lit throughout the UK

Tues 5 June
Queen attends service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral 
followed by Carriage Procession

Street parties, 'The Big Lunch', and afternoon teas will take place throughout the UK on those days

I've sprinkled some fun 'Best Of Britain' in the post to get you in the mood...
Unlike the Royal Wedding just a year ago, 
this event feels more intimate

The English seem to deeply appreciate her loyalty and dedication to her position 
and think it is a wonderful celebration of her 60 year reign


Clever cardboard vase by Talking Tables


Quite a few remember her coronation in 1953
when she was just 27 years old

She has been Queen during the lifetime of most Britons
and has provided stability and continuity to this country

Because the only other Diamond Jubilee has been for Queen Victoria
and many Britons may not experience another Jubilee in their lifetime,
this event is a really big deal


Hunter is the iconic British wellies brand


This Jubilee reaches across ALL ages
and has brought out loyalty, pride, and even patriotism
in Britain

The curious thing about the British is they have allegiance to two flags
- the Union Jack and their constituent country
(England, Scotland, Wales, or N Ireland) -

which creates a multilayered identity at the heart of every Brit
with perhaps muddled patriotism


Always something bright & cheery at Accessorize


Ooh, it is going to be an exciting few days,
and I'm going to bring you along :)


17 comments:

Tina @ Girl Meets Globe said...

I'm so glad you are going to share it with us! I so wish we were going to be there, but this will be the next best thing!

likeschocolate said...

I loved all the decor for the celebrations. If I could have worked it out, I would have brought back an arm chair witht he Union Jack on it.

Dave D said...

I enjoy reading your blog and I hope you won't mind when "pull you up" on few things occasionally, the union flag is only a "jack" when it's flown on a ship and it also surprises me (not related to this blog)that a lot of photos I see on the web, the flag is flying upside down.
Regards.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hey Dave, I've given a lot of thought about using the term 'Union Jack' in the past months. I suppose I continue to use the phrase because that is how it is most commonly referred to, especially in America. A Union Flag sounds like a flag related to the American Civil War. I'll continue to mull it over... Perhaps a good future blog post :)

Sandra said...

I love that colourful illustration that represents the Diamond Jubilee and the fact that it was done by a 10-year-old! There are already interesting and historical programmes on French and Swiss TV about the Queen and her family and their anscestors! It's interesting to hear other points of view from countries that no longer have, or have never had royalty! I also watched the Chelsea Flower Show over here!
I shall be watching the main events on the BBC which we can get over here!

Pom Pom said...

Hooray! I'm so grateful, Laura! "It seems more intimate" is a great way to put it.

Ariana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ariana said...

Just wanted to add that my daughter, in the local school, has also been instructed to call it the "union jack." I have loved seeing all of the art projects the kids have been making for this big event!

ann said...

Brit geek that I am, I am right behind you.

Jenny Woolf said...

I'm excited too, we are going to watch the flotilla along the thames, hope we get to see it okay and hope the weather stays all right. But then , it did rain on the coronation so I suppose we just have to put up with it.

I'm far more excited about this than the Olympics, because it seems a real human celebration not some corporate thing.

fiona anderson said...

I just wanted to add that most Brits call it the Union Jack too, including me. I never knew the point made above until another American blogger mentioned it !! And you are so right that saying the Union Flag sounds like something American - and I bet 90% of people over here wouldn't know what it was if you did.
Also a post about us being English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish and then British could really open up a whole can of worms - lol - personally I'm an easy going Brit from England.
Really enjoying the posts, thank you !

Down by the sea said...

Thanks for letting us know what is going on this weekend! I have been too busy to think about it yet so it was great picking up all the details from you!
Sarah x

Cottage Tails said...

Hello from New Zealand. As a young girl I kept scrapbooks of the royal family - and I still enjoy reading about them.
A friend gave me a napkin with the 60th Jubilee on it all the way from the UK. SPECIAL!
I'll be watching the telly and we will have our own little celebration.
Love leanne

the cuby poet said...

There is an excitement in the air with. flags and bunting everywhere in my little Cornish village. This weekend is busy with the Sunday packed with fun for the oldest the youngest members of the community. Breakfast, songs of praise at the hall, Flora dance with band through the village. BIG lunch on the sports field for the community bring a plate to share, Jubilee Village trails various ages and so much more! A great together event. I hope you have as much fun as we will be having.

Egretta Wells blog said...

I'm so glad you are going to keep us "posted" as to all the happenings there on this wonderful occasion! I want one of each of the items you showed us today! So cute. I love the cardboard centerpiece, especially, and how cute are the boots! I will be in England (the Cotswolds in August...hope I can still find plenty of Jubilee things. Will also be in N. Ireland where my daughter lives. Check out her blog (Kelli Boyles blogspot).

Loree said...

Hos wonderful! I can't wait. Malta still forms part of the Commonwealth - so I suppose we have some cause for celebration too.

Privet and Holly said...

I am enjoying the ride....
Thanks for a front-row
seat, Laura!!

xo Suzanne