25 July 2012

The Olympic Torch

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

How adorable is he?!
This is Olympic torchbearer Charlie Palmer
age 87 from Chilworth

I don't know if he or the torch is shining more :)




I stood next to his proud granddaughters 
who said he received the exciting news 21/2 months ago that he'd been selected 
For the longest time he thought someone was pulling his leg

Mr Palmer has been an active 'King Scout' as he joined Boy Scouts 75 years ago

He received the Olympic flame from torchbearer Oliver Haydon from East Horsley


'Kissing Point' in Shere


The aluminum torch has 8000 laser cut circles representing
the 8000 inspirational torchbearers carrying the flame
8000 miles over a 70 day journey

Impressively
the Olympic Torch Relay will be within 10 miles of 95% of the UK population

I believe each torchbearer keeps his/her own torch (great memento!)
Only the flame is exchanged 
which will light the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony on Friday




I had thought the flame was carried continuously by people,
but actually it is in a vehicle quite a lot
between the 1,019 community visits

The Olympic Torch started its UK journey on May 19th
with David Beckham bringing the flame from Athens to England
abroad 'The Firefly', a purpose-designed British Airways jet


Bus that transports torchbearers to their position


While sample torches were tested in BMW's high-tech wind tunnel,
the flame has gone out a few times during its journey due to
a gust of wind in Athens,
water during whitewater rafting on the Olympic canoe slalom,
and on a para-badminton wheelchair in Devon

Not to fear,
one of the four lanterns carrying the mother flame is always nearby to relight the torch
and a new torch is never more than 30 seconds away in case of 'droppage' 

The flame has gone on other fun and unique adventures such as
speeding along a zipline across River Tyne with Bear Grylls
flying above Eden Project's rainforest in a helium balloon
and travelling on top of a London Eye pod




For me, 
I must admit it was a bit emotional seeing the torch go by
Such a historic moment for everyone witnessing it
:)

And
at 8:12am this Friday
the nation will ring bells for 3 minutes to
kick off the first day of the London 2012 Summer Olympics
town hall bells, church bells, bicycle bells, hand bells, door bells -

Ting-a-ling :)

- all photos by me -

28 comments:

greenthumb said...

It's going to be so much fun.

Razmataz said...

I am not sure if it is the same over there, but her in Canada, the flame carriers had to purchase their torch if they wanted to keep it.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I just googled it - sure enough, it is £215 for a torchbearer to buy their torch, however some of the sponsors are buying it for them... Thanks for mentioning ;)

Vintage Jane said...

Really interesting post. I too, much to my surprise, became quite emotional when the flame passed by us. Looking forward to the bells on Friday and to attending the Olympics next week. M x

Sandra said...

I just love Charlie Palmer carrying the torch! Great shots!

paisleysummer said...

Exciting times. I must say once the games start I really get into it. Not sure how the time zones will work in Australia though.
Penny x

TexWisGirl said...

a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime moment to witness!

Grammy Goodwill said...

How exciting that you could be there to see him do that. I love the Olympics.

Pet said...

Keep reporting!!!

My Garden Diaries said...

Awesome! He is adorable....love stories like that!

Robyn said...

Brilliant! I am getting totally excited about the olympics! I had two friends carrying the torch and it was quite an emotional time. Fantastic photos!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

That's awesome! Did you get to see them?

Emily said...

Our town was a stop for the Atlanta Olympics back in '96. I think it's a "once in a lifetime" experience to see that torch go through! So glad you got to be a part of it!

sarah-jane down the lane said...

OMG I am so so excited, can't wait for the bells to peel tomorrow...It's actually here! I, like you found the Torch relay rather moving. I have so enjoyed seeing all the different posts along it's journey. Have a gorgeous time in Cornwall,

Sarah -x-

Kate and Russ said...

Just about to write my own post about the torch and I broke my own rule to read yours first. I couldn't help myself! Great post!

Jane said...

Love this post, Laura. We had the thrill of seeing it a few times as it travelled around Australia in the lead-up to Sydney 2000. It even went underwater! J x

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Off to read yours. Can't wait to see where you saw it :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Underwater? That's cool :)

Tristangreatrex@hotmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tristangreatrex@hotmail.com said...

Great blog Laura - Just sent you an e-mail regarding

www.sheredelight.com

Tristan

Joyce said...

Quite a few of my friends have posted pics of the torch passing their street and village. It IS exciting! Such a great memory for the carriers and the viewers : )

Privet and Holly said...

Such an exciting
time for your family to
be in England, Laura!!

Loved the radiant face
of the torch lighter. He
looks just amazing for 82
and I can see why his family
his very proud....

Looking forward to the
start of the Olympics and
following it from our side
of the pond.

Looking forward to being
on your side ~ and meeting
YOU ~ this fall!

Happy Thursday,
xo Suzanne

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I feel like we've already met, having followed each other for two years now :) Cant wait to put a real voice to your blog :)

Older Mum said...

Great post. London has gone bonkers!

Emma said...

Oh I just got goosebumps reading this post! Brought back memories for me of watching the torch go by when Sydney hosted the Olympics and also made me so proud that people like Charlie Palmer are acknowledged for all that they have done for their communities. x

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

My Mum was telling me a story of the 1948 Olympics and the torches being carried by lonely runners all through the day and the night. None of the ceremony, not much of an entourage, if any, but glorious all the same :D

Leslie Harris said...

What a great post. Our whole family is watching the Olympics. And oh how I wish I could be there. You're so lucky! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad to meet you. I'm a new follower.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss blog)

Whitney Cramer said...

that's so cool! my parents used to live in Englad when my dad was in the Air Force - now here we are in good ol Texas of U.S.A. ha! Anyways, I'm totally looking forward to following someone from where my parents used to live! enjoying your posts!