31 July 2012

Twirling In The Fields

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK


Peeking over hedgerows, coast to coast,
I've been on a quest to find a field of poppies
for months

I'd researched on the internet where
to uncover their sneaky location
but ended up empty handed

Apparently it is like seeing a rainbow...
One year it is there, the next it is not

These field poppies grow where the soil is very poor
and most fields are filled with productive crops

Once I surrendered to not seeing these red beauties en masse
I practically suffered whiplash upon seeing this near Stonehenge
(just east of Amesbury, for other chasers)




What you can't see is me jumping up and down behind the camera
yelling, YES!
while my precious children were hollering if we can go now with rolled eyes
:)

Then
across the field
I spied another poppy/rainbow chaser
crouched in photo-shooting position 
among grasses, poppies, and ouchy stinging nettle
Kinship

As last week was a very warm and sunny one
there was lots of farm equipment ambling the roads and in the fields
frantic to bale hay before the rains returned




Below you can see how the English refer to the landscape as a patchwork quilt
with small fields surrounded by hedgerows
So quaint, so 'English countryside'


A303 'Highway To The Sun'


*sigh*
I love it so

- all photos by me -

Related post:

27 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful. and more beautiful. :)

Marilyn said...

A whole field of poppies? WOW!! Would this be where we get the poppy seeds we use in baking? I have no idea where they come from. Lovely pictures of the country side.♥♫

Celestial Charms said...

Stunning photographs, as always. It must be so wonderful to live in an area of the world, with such striking beauty. A small country, but filled with a big bounty of pretty!
Maureen

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Wow! Gorgeous!! I'd have been with you, jumping up and down for joy to see this. I just have to tell you that every time I see the word "hedgerow" I think of Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

I often miss the beautiful elm trees which used to dot the "patchwork quilt" when I was a kid

Whitney Cramer said...

wow! can you say BEAUTIFUL?!

My Garden Diaries said...

Rock on! Your shot is AMAZiNG! One day one of your kiddos will want a copy of their mom's photo for their home! Guaranteed!

Pom Pom said...

I'm so glad you found that field of poppies! It made me smile and smile some more!

Egretta Wells blog said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous!

iSophie said...

Gorgeous photos!

Zosia said...

Beautiful, the whole palette, from reds, through yellowy-greens, to deep greens.

P.S. I finally got around to posting about our visit to the Harry Potter studio tour http://polonicahomeagain.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-world-of-harry-potter-swiat-harrego.html .

Joyce said...

So envious of your field of poppies...I bought a painting to hang in my guest room and it makes me think of England's amazing countryside whenever I pass by.

paisleysummer said...

Wow. Definitely a STOP THE CAR moment! I just love the English countryside too, so pretty x

Stylish Kylie said...

Lovely. We saw some poopy fields from the train on the way to Brugge, Belgium. Very touching.

Laura said...

Ahhh the green, green grass of home... There's nothing like it! Lx

Bonnie said...

Beautiful pics. Glad you got your poppies. Stunning!

Emily said...

Beautiful photographs! Balm to the soul!

Pet said...

You are awakening to much of England on me! :-)

Ola said...

amazing, beatiful landscape!!! I would like to be there!

życie & podróże
gotowanie

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I believe the poppy seeds for baking come from the opium poppy, which is a different, bigger poppy. I've seen opium poppies in English gardens, but they are illegal to grow in the US - which is a shame because they are lovely. The field of poppies I saw definitely looked cultivated because of the tractor ruts and few weeds, but I'm not sure why they would be planted - maybe somehow beneficial to the soil for crops next year?

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Darn that Dutch Elm disease! America suffered as well

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Popping over now to see it!

ann said...

When we toured England, I was so struck by the poppy fields. Many of the rape fields had poppies--that combination of golden ripening rape with the bright orange poppies was indeed beautiful. Well worth the effort to seek out with Stonehenge the bonus. Lucky kids.

Older Mum said...

Lovely, lovely poppy field!

Ida said...

What a gorgeous field of poppies. How exciting that you finally found this field to photograph it's beauty.
Loved the rolled bales of hay as well.

withinireland said...

Oh! Those are just BEAUTIFUL! I haven't been to stonehenge now but this field would definitely make the trip out worthwhile1

The Bathtime Team said...

I love the poppies esp when intermingled with corn fields. we have lots along our hedgerows in norfolk...