06 October 2012

A Day At Hidcote Manor Garden

Posted By Happy Homemaker UK


Deprived of taking photos at Prince Charles's Highgrove,
I was itching to photograph a garden
Almost any garden would do!

But I decided to trek to Hidcote Manor Gardens
which has sat at the top of my must-see list for years

It is one of the best-known and most influential
British gardens from the Arts and Crafts movement

Previous owner, Lawrence Johnston, was a friend 
to other innovative gardeners of his time
including Gertrude Jekyll and Vita Sackville-West

You can see the commonality in their hardy flower borders,
white garden, and garden of rooms

All such a visual delight!

Come on in :)




You know I'm a sucker for thatched houses
(now houses the gardeners - luckies!)




Like a fairytale,
just missing the damsel...




17th Century Hidcote Manor
in classic Cotswold stone




One of the many 'rooms' in this 15 acre garden






Beehives among the wildflowers





With lots of busy-bee gardeners working,
there were loads of wheelbarrows just begging to be photographed




My postcard attempt with fun filters
Loving the girlie Japanese anemones




Spied this down the street...

Can't you just picture this handmade sign
being a Mother's Day gift a few years ago?




Floral eye candy everywhere I looked :)
Yum!

- all photos by me -
More info: Hidcote

31 comments:

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oh, you lucky thing, Laura, it's BEAUTIFUL! This is definitely going on my list of things to do. I need to start making the most of our beautiful country!
Sarahxxxx

Robyn said...

beautiful-just like a fairy tale as you said.

Leigh Powell Hines said...

So beautiful. Love it.

Sarajan said...

Your photos are simply beautiful. A completely lovely posting!

High Heeled Life said...

Laura ... your photos are certainly making want to take a visit to England and explore. Thank you for sharing this part of the world with us!! xo C. (HHL)

Iota said...

If I worked for the English Tourist Board, I would employ you!

TexWisGirl said...

how perfect can one place be?

Anne said...

Oh what gorgeous photos! LOVE all of these. Thanks so much for sharing all this beauty. xox

The Snowdrop Project said...

Hi Laura,
I have been to Hidcote, and your wonderful photos brought back some very happy memories, and much more.
A great post as always,
Hope you have a lovely weekend,
Liz x

Sandra said...

Lovely pictures of a garden I know well as it's not far from the area I grew up in! I love the last picture with the gate and ivy on the wall and the hanging label! Great shots!

PURA VIDA said...

Incredible! The only thing better than a dutch door is a blue dutch door!

Down by the sea said...

I have always wanted to go to Hidcote, it looks from your photos better than I imagined.
Sarah x

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

What a fantastic garden, thanks for taking me with you! Ada :)

greenthumb said...

That's on of the prettiest gardens I have seen, just beautiful.

Sophie Allen said...

Those photos are all beautiful! How amazing is that shot with the horse in it!

Rosemary said...

Hidcote is just near to where I live. I did a post in June. It was lovely to see your beautiful interpretation of the same garden a little later in the year.

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh my...what a delight to see this one! The layering of plants in the second and forth photo is outstanding. Great mix with sharp borders to give it a clean look....Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pics...better be framing these for your home!

Sarah Jane said...

Hello!
Thank-you for visiting my blog the other day and leaving such a lovely comment :-D
Your blog is absolutely divine - it makes my desire to visit England that much stronger! One day, I must make a trip to look at beautiful gardens and historic buildings and places.
Take care,
Sarah xoxo

Happy Homemaker UK said...

The layering was masterful - nothing like deep borders to work with :)

Claire said...

oh goodness that is seriously beautiful!! love the pic with the horse in x

Gillian said...

You had me at the blue door in the first photo...oh my, what a slice of heaven. It's all so utterly beautiful. I love gardens like this, so quintessentially English.

Privet and Holly said...

Fairyland, indeed....
A true feast for the eyes!!!
What awesome pics
{and memories} you'll
have when you return
to the States!

xo Suzanne

Joyce said...

Just gorgeous!

Pet said...

Oh, you do live in dreamland!

...Tabiboo... said...

Now that is a beautiful garden...it's the garden of my dreams.

Nina x

ps. happy Autumn in the UK - it's a wonderful time of the year to be here - we do have some strange traditions. All good fun though. N x

CameraCruise said...

Wow, what a beautiful garden, love your photos!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you had a wonderful trip in Norway.
Mette

Hazel said...

Gorgeous photos and thank you so much for popping by my little blog! The thatch is just divine!

yankinyorkshire.com said...

Stunning photos! What a beautiful place! I also have a thing for thatched-roof cottages. :)

By Nela said...

Preciosos lugares!!!!!

Besossss

Manoli

Charlotte said...

Laura - this post is gorgeous! Hidcote should have you on commission as it makes me want to run away there immediately!

Charlotte x

Emily said...

BEAUTIFUL! And jam-packed with gorgeous inspiration.