08 December 2012

Film Locations: The Holiday & Bridget Jones


A few months ago
I asked you what questions you have for me

For a while 
I've been chewing on this question 
from Debi at A Tale of Two Cities...

Do you have suggestions for cute towns that would be
great day trips for us London gals wanting to get out of the city sometimes?
We've been to all the tourist sites of course, but we love cute towns
and villages that we can get to by train...

The picturesque village of Shere comes to mind,
in the heart of the rolling Surrey Hills 
just 30 miles south west of London


(photo by me)


To get there, take a train from London Waterloo to Guildford
and hop in a taxi for a 20 minute drive to Shere

Because it is a village, it is quite small by definition

Set in Tillingbourne Valley, medieval Shere
is complete with a ford, stream, ducks to feed, ancient church, teashop,
stores, and pubs

Need something to do?
How about a nose around for local film locations :)


Shere Lane on filming day
via Hooked On Houses


You can see they pumped snow all over the village for a Christmassy look
but as it rarely snows here, I can't promise you'll see the white stuff on your visit
- I got lucky this week ;) -


(photo by me)


The gorgeous Church of St James is Grade I listed and was built in 1190

It provided the backdrop for the final wedding scene in 
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004)

Cameron Diaz was dropped off in front of the church graveyard
in the romantic comedy, The Holiday (2006)

Take a walk over and enjoy a pint in the former smugglers pub, 
The White Horse, built in 1425


Filming at The White Horse with Jude Law
(Photos used by permission, © Chris Capstick Photography)

In The Holiday, Jude Law and Cameron Diaz enjoy drinks in this fire-lit pub
with ceiling timbers from Nelson's ship, HMS Victory, which was in the Battle Of Trafalgar
The cast and crew enjoyed their wrap up party here too

Have a rumbly in your tumbly?
Amble over to 18th century pub, The William Bray, for a scrumptious meal
(great outside seating on a sunny day)

To walk off your meal in the breathtaking countryside
 go past St James Church 
and find the public pathway to the right of the church

Up the hill you will see the field where Iris's cottage was created for The Holiday
Just a film set, the house is no longer standing

In the photo, you can see the church spire in the background
(and no snow on the hills)


Front of house via Chalk and Talk Blog
Back view via Paul Orford on Panoramio


In the photo on the right,
it looks like the public pathway is on the left side
(you can just barely see people standing on it)
The field is on private land but can be seen from the church path

And that adorable cozy English interior?
 Filmed in sunny Sony Picture Studios, Culver City, California
- the horror! -


via Hooked On Houses


Although you won't see the storefronts from Diaz's famous driving scene here
(filmed 8 miles away in Godalming),
the Shere Shop is a cute village shop worth a visit when in Shere

Another worthy walk is along the stream heading out of town
where you'll pass the community (allotment) garden, 
16th & 17th century timber-framed houses, a ford, and a pasture for horses

Shere holds a special place in my heart,
as my husband took me there
to woo me over with the idea of moving to England

As you can see,
it worked :)

{ Read my post about the building of Iris's cottage here }


31 comments:

Marina PĂ©rez said...

OOOOhhhh!!!!! I love your post, really cute. I want to gooooo. Sorry

Annie said...

Given that I live in Richmond, I have no excuse for not yet visiting this pretty village (I have made it to Godalming - but I should have ventured a little further)! This will definitely need to be added to the must-visit list.

On another note, I enjoyed your 'vintiquing' post - I'm also generally too scared to attend auctions, but refuse to pay London antique prices. Where was the auction you attended?

likeschocolate said...

I have a friend who went to Cotswolds where the movie is suppose I take place and while it is not where then movie was filmed it is equally as charming. Now I want to pop some pop corn and grab my blanket and watch these films.

ann said...

I'd say that you have a new calling: Trip planner and vacation guide.

Gillian said...

Fascinating! You've made me want to watch The Holiday now, a feel-good festive movie. Those locations are so pretty. I would love to live somewhere like that but I suspect it's a bit expensive? x

High Heeled Life said...

WOW!! who knew such wonderful tid bits!! I agree with Ann above... you would be fabulous at planning vacations to the countryside and shopping ... some gals living in France do it ... so why not UK.. xo HHL

Sandra said...

I love the photos of that cottage and remember seeing it in the film "The Holiday". I like the entrance to the churchyard. Lots of churchyards in England have a little entrance with a roof and it certainly adds to the charm. I love the silhouette of the Shere sign against the sky with just a powdering of snow on the rooftop!
Have a lovely weekend!

Gesci said...

How fun!! I've only seen those films once each, but I've also not seen Harry Potter but we still had a fun time scouting out locations!
Now movies filmed in England hold a special place in my heart- because if I want to "visit", they're a much easier route now, sadly!

I'll add Shere to our "future trip to England" list! Thanks!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

The Holiday is one of my favorite movies ... and this would be a wonderful place to visit.

Fondly,
Glenda

louise said...

A lovely post. I've never been to Shere but now I want to - I love your own personal connection with it! (I do wish that cottage from The Holiday existed though)

A little bit Country said...

Wonderful post - you certainly are making the most of your time in England. And your gorgeous blog is a fantastic momento of this time. I just loved the English villages - ahhhhh you are making me homesick for the UK..........AGAIN! x

greenthumb said...

What a lovely little town quintessential English.

lisaroyhandbags said...

What a charming village - and such an informative post! I can see why Shere has your heart. It would have been an easy decision for me too :)

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

I love that film! Such a lovely village! :)

Tina @ Girl Meets Globe said...

I have friends who've mentioned it is a great little spot to visit!! We'll be just down the road, so I plan to put this on the top of my list!

michele said...

oooooh, fun tips!

michele

Happy Homemaker UK said...

The auction is in Ripley, just of the A3 on the way to Guildford. The auction house is Ewbanks: http://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hmmm, well, you are talking to an American who thinks everything is crazy expensive here. Per square foot, cheaper than London and its surrounding areas, I would imagine. And the views are worth millions :)

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Thank you! That would be fun :)

Robynne's Nest said...

I can't bare to read about Iris's cottage again...I still haven't gotten over finding out it wasn't real...still can't understand why the producers couldn't possibly find a cute cottage somewhere here in the English countryside...Great post, Laura, and as I've always got a rumbly in my tumbly, I'm always on the lookout for a new pub (or gastro pub) to try out! Robx

Alyson (New England Living) said...

Great post and great suggestions! I might be coming to England with one of my dear friends soon, so I love to read stuff like this! The cottage in England in "The Holiday" was one of my favorite sets ever! It's the reason I watch the movie over and over again! :)

PURA VIDA said...

one of my all time favorite Mr. Napkin Head movies!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

It is a beautiful place :D

michele said...

...and i'm back.

just a heads up my giveaway is open to international followers. hope you win!

michele

Renee said...

I love reading your posts, I too am an American Mom living in the UK and your blog and another lady are the ones that inspired me to do this. I just started blogging and I love it. Now when I go somewhere I think "I need to take a picture of this for my blog!". Thanks for inspring me and making me feel so not alone over here!
Renee

the cuby poet said...

What a pretty town this is, somewhere I have never heard of in a part of this country I really don't know. It is a long way from Cornwall so this post was an education for me. Thanks for such an interesting post.

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Oh,thanks so much for sharing Shere with us--it's on my bucket list now. Wonder if we can get there easily by train and do a walk-around or if it would best be toured by car from the city?

It's so full of charm, and exactly the type of town I enjoy visiting.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Wow, that's music to my ears! So glad that you are enjoying my blog and that it has inspired you.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

You would not need a car to see Shere, however, if you wanted to explore some other nearby villages by car, check out Abinger Hammer, Gomshall, and Albury too. I believe Albury was in Four Weddings And A Funeral, but you'd need to Google that to be sure :)

Jeanie said...

Oh, this is especially fun! I've seen all these movies and loved them. Fun to see "Iris' Cottage!" and learn more about the various locales. It all looks so darned charming, no matter where you go! I've only really done London -- many years ago and very briefly in May -- and this is really what I'd love to get to know!

marion alicaya said...

Such beautiful.

cheap luxury holidays