12 January 2013

Fun Photo Apps



Photo of phone booth using Percolator App


Twenty years ago, 
a smartphone would have seemed to be technology from a James Bond movie
with its infinite gadgets in the palm of your hand

Interactive map, flashlight, mirror, video camera,
compass, translator, encyclopedia, and phone

Really quite astounding, eh?

So as happy accidents happen,
I forgot my camera charger at home (again!)
and had to document half of our vacation with my iPhone,
forcing me to explore the possibilities of the technology

Although I don't have the newest iPhone,
I was surprised the quality of my photos was comparable
to my DSLR camera

While not great for high-quality zooming or nighttime shots,
this little phone camera is certainly light-weight and convenient
with a wide angle lens

Here are some photo apps that have me really excited...

:: ProHDR ($1.99) ::

I use this app for landscape shots
It snaps two photos - one overexposed and one underexposed
and blends them together to create one photograph
with amazing depth and color

I find this to be a good solution for capturing the sky
which often appears white in my photos




On my desktop, I use Picasa and PicMonkey for photo editing
On my phone, I use Photoshop Express (free)

:: InstaPicFrame (free) ::
provides collages and those coveted circle frames




:: Percolator ($1.99) ::

I am CRAZY about this app
which turns your photo into cool artwork


Photo of wall graffiti


:: PhotoArtista Haiku ($2.99) ::

Not my favorite app, but it has its merits
by turning photographs into watercolor paintings




:: ToonPAINT (£1.49) with upgrade (£.69) ::

I find this app to be very addictive,
transforming photos into graphic woodblock prints



Bundles of roses at market


Many of these apps allow you to upload into Instagram and Facebook
and work on other Apple devices too

If your desired photo is on your desktop,
email yourself the photo, upload onto your device, and have a go!

Then email your finished photo back to yourself in 'actual size' for better resolution
and download onto your desktop

So easy and fun!

And for the kiddos, these are a great alternative to phone video games
They can spend hours making masterpieces :)

- all images are my own -

I found some of these apps (and more) in iPhone Obsessed (book)
This is not a sponsored post. Just excited to share :)

18 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

This is one thing I want to explore this year, photo editing. My phone is a really old one, can't even take photos! I can't see a new phone coming along anytime soon but I'm going to try and get my head around Pic monkey! :) x

Gwen Ward said...

Thank you for these - I will definitely be having a go myself. Great pics.

Holledayz said...

OMGosh, I can't wait to try these. Without your post it never would have crossed my mind! Thanks for the inspiration - something creative to do on a cold dreary day!

Rose Fern said...

Great! Thanks for sharing!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

These are great ~ I really like the perculator effect ~ amazing!

Daydream Living said...

Thanks Laura, will look into them for sure! Have a good Sunday xx

ann said...

I am so glad that you shared your photo secrets. Right now I use Picasa and iPhoto. I am always exploring other photo editors. My lap top is old and slow (as I), so haven't used the online editors, but I want to take a look at Photoshop express. You have great results.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Lovely photos and great tips on the iphone. I've taken some pictures on mine and I've been surprised at how well they came out - but I didn't have this info - thanks!
Mary x

PURA VIDA said...

interesting information! thanks!

Dena Barrie said...

Love the photos! I am an avid photographer and actually find myself grabbing my Iphone many times over my camera! So, off to download some new apps!
Thanks
http://itsabouttakingthejourney.blogspot.de

Jan said...

I really like the image of the roses,,,,,,, very effective! Jx

Gillian said...

So much fun to be had!

I've just acquired my first smart phone and am slightly overwhelmed by the apps that are available. But gosh it's good fun playing around with it.

Gillian x

likeschocolate said...

Thanks for sharing! What fun!

Denise said...

Hi Laura,

Thanks for all the info in this post; I love photo editing. Your landscape photo is terrific -- white skies are often a problem for me, as well. Isn't it funny how those details really jump out at us when we see them on the computer? Back before digital cameras, I'm not sure I was quite as aware of white skies in my photos, but I'm sure I noticed the gorgeous blue skies when I captured those.

Did you go somewhere fun for your vacation? I can't wait to hear about it -- I'll be looking for a post. :)

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I LOVE that first picture - I'm thinking it would look fab framed on a wall. Aren't the old phoneboxes gorgeous?!

Sarahx

Privet and Holly said...

Hey sweet friend!
I've been down and
out the first two weeks
of January with back
to back illnesses, so
finally getting my tea
and blog time with you : )

Thank you for all of
these fun apps. You know
that I'll be trying many
of them! I especially love
how wonderful the first
picture came out ~ maybe
there is hope for me : )

I can see why you love
the artsy apps, artsy girl
that you are!

Hope YOUR 2013 is off
to a great start....

xo Suzanne

Ali said...

Wow! I had no idea all these existed. Photo editing is fun and adds something different to your collection. Thanks for sharing!

Ali x

vignette design said...

So glad I read this post! I had no idea these sites existed. I've been using Photobucket forever, but am happy to try some new ones. Your newest follower, Delores