04 January 2013

Scrambled States Of America Game


We've heard from other expat American families
that while their children may receive a more global education,
a strong US geography base might be lacking

Clever Santa delivered a family game this year
which teaches (or reviews) US state locations, capitals, and state nicknames

We played it on our vacation,
tirelessly


Based on book of same title
via Amazon


Targeted for children 8+,
this game is fun for tweens too

It is a great concept with many tasks,
such as finding the closest state and finding hidden names within capitals

It later brought up interesting dinner discussion such as
''Why is it called Rhode Island when it is not an island?''
''What is the proper pronunciation of Montpelier?''
''How do you call someone from Juneau?''
Hmm, good questions


My only complaint about this game is
it is not available for other countries or continents
(hint, hint Gamewright)

Many Europeans are surprised that Americans often can't name
the capitals of all 50 US states

This is because many capitals are in small cities that
 rarely make national news and seldom visited


Hoping you are having a wonderful new year so far
Thank you so much for reading :)

Sharing about this game only because it has been a great find for our family.
I received no free product or compensation for this post.

17 comments:

Vintage Jane said...

What a great idea ... could really do with a UK version too.

Denise said...

I love this, Laura! I am such a geography nerd, you just can't believe it. When our son was maybe 10 or 11 years old, his friend went somewhere with us, and on the way home, he suggested we play the "countries" game. I'd never heard of it, but each person in the car took a turn and had to name a country, anywhere in the world. After we all named one, we started back with the first person. This continued until someone couldn't think of a country that hadn't already been used, at which point they had to drop out. So, the last man standing wins.

This is now a running joke at our house, because I got so enthused about the game, I drove everyone crazy. When my husband and I went to bed, I was still naming countries, and the next morning I got out the encyclopedia to look up a few more. Our son was rolling his eyes and saying, "Enough already, Mom. You win." :) I should put this game on my Christmas list for next year just to see my husband and son's reaction. :D

Happy New Year, Laura!

Denise at Forest Manor

Happy Homemaker UK said...

We play a similar version when we travel by car - your family would LOVE it :) We name countries in alphabetical order, last man standing. I LOVE maps too :)

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

What a great idea - as a Brit living in the US I learnt all the States etc when my children went to school!
mary x

Kyra said...

I've found it interesting that the capital cities are usually just dead as far as population and business (I'm in Vermont, and Montpelier is pretty quiet! But Burlington, now that place is hopping!) I have to admit that while I have a great memory, geography doesn't stick in my head. I don't know why that is!

ann said...

Great game. I ought to get one for when the grand kids come. I remember memorizing all of the capitals and making a map that had items glued to each state to represent what the state was famous for. All I can remember now is tobacco and cotton in the south. A game might be more fun.

Christy said...

Times must change growing up in UK we studied TN Dam System, CA Water Irigation system, and NW USA Apple Growing all in Geography.

Christy
Lil Bit Brit

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Ideal gift for your family I think, happy playing! :) x

PURA VIDA said...

I love games like this...adults too!

CK said...

I am getting this game, what a great idea. Love your blog!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Happy New Year!

This looks like a wonderful games for kids and perhaps some adults as well. I have so enjoyed reading all about your adventures this year and am looking forward to another year.

Enjoy your weekend, Elizabeth

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

That looks like fun for non-Americans too ... I'm not sure I could name all fifty states! And yes, a version for other countries would be fabulous.

Happy New Year Laura, here's hoping 2013 is a spectacular year for you and yours x

greenthumb said...

That sounds like a great game, lots of fun.

Pat said...

Cool present!
How I wish they had a game like that when my children were growing up in France and Switzerland especially now that they live in the States. ha

Pat said...

Cool present!
How I wish they had a game like that when my children were growing up in France and Switzerland especially now that they live in the States. ha

Linda said...

That sounds like a great game to play with our grandchildren, gain some geographical knowledge and have fun at the same time. I'm looking for some new board games so this would be a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Kate Loecken said...

I think the Easter Bunny may have to deliver this to our house. During the first week of school back in the States, my 3rd grader came home upset because she was the only one in the class who couldn't spell Mississippi!