01 March 2013

Sherlock Holmes In London


Determined this year
to walk in the footsteps of famous British authors,
I started my quest with Sherlock Holmes,
created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


Wall Tiles at Baker Street Tube Station


Sherlock Holmes continues to be on bookshelves today,
as The Hound of the Baskervilles
was awarded 128th place in the BBC's Big Read
as a treasured book by three quarters of a million voters


Did you know Sherlock Holmes's Deerstalker cap is not mentioned in any of the books?
It is one of many Holmes's trademarks created by actors and/or illustrators


An interesting fact about Doyle is
he was a Scottish physician without many patients
so he starting writing stories and novels in his office
in Portsmouth and later in London

(I love examples when an apparently bad situation 
turns out to be a good thing)


Original gas lights from Doyle's era are still dotted around London


Conan Doyle was first published in 1886
and continued to write until after World War I


As a playwright, Doyle also brought his popular Sherlock Holmes to the stage
(including to the Adelphi Theater seen here)


Sherlock Holmes was a unique idea at the time
with his character reappearing repeatedly
in novels and short stories

Not only were his contemporary readers 
entranced by Holmes and his sidekick Watson,
but Doyle was clever to throw in tidbits 
that would have been current, possibly to the week,
in his stories published in The Strand Magazine


Previous entrance to The Strand Magazine office, which closed in 1950
The clock would have indicated wealth


which gives Sherlock Holmes and Watson 
completely different personas from the film, 'Sherlock Holmes' (2009)

The book is a short, quick read
which I would definitely recommended if you are looking for a classic
(I had no idea there were quagmires in Dartmoor!)




As for Sherlock Holmes locations in London,
there is no shortage :)

- all photos by me -
(an unsponsored post)

19 comments:

Ali said...

I've been a Holmes fan for years and have read every story. Jeremy Brett is my favourite Holmes actor. I was sorry when he passed away from heart disease in 1995. I thought he brought the character of Holmes to life like no one before or since. I think you can still see 221B Baker Street in London too.

Ali

Dumbwit Tellher said...

What a terrific idea to walk in the path of your favourite British authors. I would absolutely love doing that. I am such a history junkie! I hope you have a fun weekend sluthing Laura!

Cheers, Deb

Barbara said...

We visited the museum when we were in London. I love Sherlock Holmes story and it was a *must do* while we were there.

Dave D said...

Laura, thought you may be interested in this link to the Conan Doyle memorial plaque in Southsea, Portsmouth. I lived in Southsea for over 30 years, the last 14 of them about 2 mins walk away from Bush House, so use to pas it nearly every day.
http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/southsea/conan-doyle.htm

BTW, H. G. Wells allegedly worked in a drapers just down the road when he was a boy.

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Thanks, Dave!

Terri said...

What a great post! When Mike and I were in London in October, we had dinner at the Sherlock Holmes pub. Great food and beer, and the location was spectacular. It definitely made me go back and reread some of the novels/stories. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Kyra Wilson said...

Gotta love Sherlock! :) I admit, however, that I enjoy all the re-imaginings of the characters coming out now (particularly the BBC series!)

Sissym said...

All of this is fantastic. Emocionte to travel in literature.

:)

Privet and Holly said...

My kids love the
new Sherlock series
produced by BBC.
I wish we would have
visited the museum
when we were there!
Fun facts and great
pics, sweet friend.

xo Suzanne

Gina said...

I love the wall tiles at the Baker Street tube station! They are fun and give me a smile when I am heading into central London.
I remember reading "The Hound of Baskervilles" in high school. I may have to refresh my memory and re-read. Wonderful post. I really enjoyed it!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a great post. Have you seen the new TV show called Sherlock. I love it. It is set in modern times, but is so well filmed and with great dialogue. I can't wait for more episodes to come out.

greenthumb said...

I remember visiting there when I went to London, great place.

Marina Pérez said...

Wonderful post Laura! thank you

Marina

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

How strange, I saw this yesterday! :) x

Deb @ PlainStitch said...

Really enjoying your blog which i found recently. I am British but lived a while in the US so really enjoy your reverse musings on being an expat here! I think everyone should try it, it definately takes the shutters away from your eyes,

Noelle the dreamer said...

A most interesting post (yet again) Laura and learned a thing or two...
Jeremy Brent gave the best portrayal of Mr. Holmes to be sure!

Mandy Southgate said...

I love this set of photos! Have you been in the Sherlock Holmes museum? It is a lot of fun. There is also a giant statue of Sherlock Holmes outside Baker Street Station - have you seen that? I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan too!

Denise said...

Believe it or not, Laura, I just read "The Hound of the Baskervilles" last fall; my son gave it to me for my birthday. It was a great read. Then for Christmas he gave me a collection of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels. I've read "The Sign of Four" and "A Study in Scarlet."

My husband and I have been watching "Elementary" which airs in the U.S. It's a contemporary and different take on the traditional Sherlock Holmes, but it is amusing and intriguing to watch.

Thanks for sharing your photos and info. on Sherlock and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

Denise at Forest Manor

Jeanie said...

How fun is this! I like Holmes very much and this was a spot I didn't have time to see in London. Ah, next time! But lots of meat here, and great photos, too!