07 June 2014

The Lake District


For the long holiday weekend
we took a quick zip to the Lake District, 
the largest and most visited National Park in England 
located near the Scottish border




You can see how this area has inspired so many authors
including William Wordsworth and Arthur Ransome




The area is known for its 
long, thin lakes
hills (known as 'fells')
verdant countryside (indicating it rains a lot) 
and hardy Herdwick & Swaledale sheep




Aren't you in love already?








We visited Beatrix Potter's 17th-century farmhouse, Hill Top,
which was a real highlight

We saw local village locations that appear in her books
such as this letter box


Queen Victoria was the first to put her 'royal cypher' on new postboxes
Here, 'GR' indicates this letterbox was placed during the reign of King George V (George Rex)
Queen Elizabeth II's royal cypher is EIIR (Elizabeth II Regina)
Rex/Regina is Latin for king/queen


So glad we fit in this last trip!
Well worth the five hour drive :)

- all images my own -
(an unsponsored post)

17 comments:

He Who Loves an Old House said...

I'm glad that you fit in this last trip too! It's absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Tim

lisaroyhandbags said...

So pretty! What a lovely way to leave your stay in UK. Hope all your moving plans are going well :)

Denise said...

Beautiful pictures, Laura!! I love the cottage in the fourth pic, and the last photo is so charming. For Mother's Day this year, our son gave me a book called "Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life," by Marta McDowell. It just came out last year, and was written by an American. It's a lovely book, and you might be interested in looking for it when you get settled in.

Thanks for sharing your tour; that one is on my wish list. :)

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Denise said...

Hi Laura,

I forgot to add that your puppy is darling; he/she is really growing!! We have a new Scottish Terrier puppy as of March 4th, and he is a terror. ;)

So glad you got to take one last trip in beautiful England before you leave. Have a wonderful weekend!

Denise at Forest Manor

Iota said...

So glad you had this opportunity. Yes, it's a stunning part of Britain.

ann said...

Grasmere was one of my favorite places on our tours of a England. We toured both of. Wordsworth's houses, a Dove Cottage and Royal Mount and walked his garden path. You can see why he wrote poetry surrounded in such beauty.

Pom Pom said...

How perfectly lovely, Laura! You're so smart! You visit all the best places and you honor them, too.
I shall go to the Lake District one day.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful spot to visit before you leave England. It's a spot that has been on my "someday" list -- your photos only help me hope that "someday" comes sooner rather than later!

Claire said...

love The Lakes, we got married in Glenridding right next to Ullswater, it was beautiful xx

**Perler på snor** Dorthe said...

O-M-G what a beauty you have experienced.
THANK YOU for sharing so I could see the area as well.
I am totally in love with England!

Greetings from Denmark,
Dorthe

Amy at love made my home said...

I'm so glad that you got to visit the lakes and that you enjoyed it so much. I hope that you have loved your time here in England and will come back again to visit someday! xx

RachelM said...

beautiful! i have very fond memories from time spent in the lake district. thanks for sharing!

Tina in CT said...

Just beautiful.

I love Beatrix Potter and am so jealous as I would love to visit her house.

You had a wonderful getaway before you say goodbye to England.

Tina in CT said...

Just beautiful.

I love Beatrix Potter and am so jealous as I would love to visit her house.

You had a wonderful getaway before you say goodbye to England.

Janey and Co. said...

Oh Laura, I don't want you to go home! Love love these pictures. Tom and I drove through these hills on our honeymoon...28 yrs ago. We had to shoo the long haired sheep out of the road. Your shots are amazing.....Janey

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness...heck, yeah I'm in love! The scenery is stunning. Oh, how I would love to tour that area of England one day!

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

So beautiful!